Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The End of Blogger?



Folks, I may end my Blogger account.  I don't want to but Blogger is forcing me to end it with their so called "upgrade."  To me, this is just more aggravation and making my life more difficult.

For three days in a row now I have chosen to go back to the old Blogger interface only to find that Blogger has forced me into their new interface the next day.

I'm at the point now where like a friend person who is trying to force feed me his or her way of life that I'm going to say "f**k it!" and go with Word Press.

Frankly I don't find Word Press all that easy to navigate either.  My style is to post a lot of photos.  I also like some of the extras that I got with Blogger like tracking where my followers were coming from and the count of hits.  That kind of information either isn't available at Word Press or buried somewhere in their interface which frankly I'm not in a mood to try and figure out.

Here is something I'm trying to figure out:  is the reason I'm resistant to this change because I'm an old Fuddy Duddy or am I being realistic in knowing that I like working with something that I am familiar with and don't see the need for change because I'm not having a problem or missing something from the present format?  Is it me?  Or is it those faceless geeks people on the other side of the Great Divide who have to justify their existence to have change just for the sake of change?

When are these people going to realize that there is a great proportion of population out here that is non-geek and happy with the way things are?  Sure, provide change for those who want it but how about giving the rest of us the option to stay with things as they are until we ask for a change?  Is that so much to ask?

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call you a Fuddy Duddy. You're used to what you're used to, and not beong given the option to stay with Old Blogger has you pissed off.
    But......New Blogger isn't that bad to work through. I've tried Wordpress and I still like Old and New Blogger over it.
    I'm still finding bugs in the New Blogger but I think I'll stay here.
    It's like a comfy old pair of sneakers that shrunk a little in the wash. I'll get used to it and then i won't even remember the old thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      Oh, I'll get used to it. I guess in the long run it's better. But I am finding now that the new "improved" interface is more cumbersome. Not user friendly at all.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Just go back to the old interface Ron. I did. It hasn't defaulted back to the new interface for me, at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,,
      I go back to the old Blogger interface but when I bring up my blog in the next morning I have the new Blogger interface. Frustrating to say the least.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's because you are a fuddy duddy. So am I. So are a lot of folks. I don't like it when my usual software changes interfaces, like when Microsoft Office implemented their "Ribbon". But I know I'm going to have to deal with it, so I hold my breath and jump in feet first. It may take some time and effort, but eventually I come back to the surface.

    When I started my blog I started with Blogger and published several entries, each time trying to figure it out. I never could post a pic. How that was done completely eluded me. Then I discovered WordPress and never looked back. Perhaps with the recent Blogger changes I would be able to figure it out now. We'll never know because I'm a fuddy duddy and I'm sticking with WordPress!

    I still don't know how to send a text message on my phone. If someone sends me one I panic because I can't figure out how to send one back. That's proof positive of my fuddy duddiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby,
      I agree, I am an old Fuddy Duddy. I am seriously considering changing to Word Press. Then once I get used to Word Press they'll change their interface too. Wouldn't surprise me.
      I didn't know how to text message for the longest time. I didn't learn until I had to respond to one of my co-workers who only communicated with me by texting. Now I like it. I'm not texting all the time but it is a convenient way to communicate with my co-workers without calling them on the phone when they might be busy at the front desk. I guess I'll learn the new interface eventually. It appears today the only thing permanent is change. I have to get used to it.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    They to show continuous "innovation" to justify keeping staff. As others have said, you will probably discover a way to make it work for you in time. However, your immediate frustration is understandable since the previous system worked well for you. In the meantime, consider that fact that you are keeping some young turk in the Bay Area employed and that he/she is not out there f*king up something else that is more important to you.

    Now, excuse me. I have to go yell at some kids to get off the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will,

      Of course I will find a way to make the new Blogger interface work for me but the whole thing seems ridiculous. I'm a believer in if it isn't broken why fix it? To me the old interface was working just fine. At least give us old men shouting at kids to keep off of our lawns the option of staying old and curmudgeonly. ]
      Ron

      Delete
  5. There have been numerous complaints about the new blogger from all age groups. Why they did it I don't know - programing efficiency, basis for cuter changes...ect. What I don know it that I got use to it and you will too and that Wordpress is preferred for blogging more than any other format and blogger is a very small fraction of the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I did not know that Wordpress is preferred for blogging more than any other format. I have a Wordpress blog on which I did a few posts. I guess I will eventually leave Blogger behind and go with Wordpress full time. Apparently I don't have a choice.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I should have added that WP is also consider much less user friendly than Blogger.

    ReplyDelete