Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Change



I'm making the change folks.  Today I decided that I will make my blog on Word Press my main blog.  I'm tired of trying to keep up with all the "improvements" and changes with Blogger.

Remember the "new Coke?"  That went well didn't it?  More recently a website that I used to use a lot called Playlist "improved" things.  The end result is that I no longer use it.  Just as well.

It's a shame because there are many features that I like with Blogger like being able to change my background photo.  Ironically, the photo I have now (which I took this morning of roofers in Milton) is probably a good metaphor of what I am doing now, changing blogs.

The photo of the change in my hand is also an apt metaphor.  This is the change I received a few minutes ago from my single purchase at the Food Lion supermarket.  I normally pay with my Discover credit card but since I only got one item, broccoli, I paid for it with cash.  Thus that rare "thing" in my hand, change.

Actually there are several good reasons to get a fresh start with a new blog provider.  Since I'm not giving out my new blog address (it will have a different title than "Retired in Delaware"), not everyone will know where my new blog is.  For those of you who do want to know, you can find me through Spo Land.  Those of you in the know, know where that is.

I've had this blog since 2005.  Over those years I have had followers that I would rather not have.  I've lost several friends, or at least people I thought were friends, who took offense to some subjects I blogged about.  They tried to censor my blogs by telling me what to blog about and I threw their criticism right back in their face and they didn't like it so bye bye so called friends.

I also have some followers from where I work which restricts what I can write about in my daily life.  I can hardly write about work when I know my boss and co-workers are reading my blog.

I have made some good friends though.  For those of you who do not know the "Spo Land" reference, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the address of my new blog.

I'll still blog here occasionally but I will be posting daily to my new blog.

The past five years have been fun.  Lots of ups and downs, mostly ups.  I hope to make new friends at my new blog.  Be warned though, I have yet another learning curve to go through.  I'll admit at my age these learning curves are getting harder and harder to negotiate.  My new blog will be pretty bare bones until I can figure out all the bells and whistles.

Thank you everyone to all my faithful followers.  I appreciate you all.  To those who have ended our friendship because you couldn't control me, good bye.

27 comments:

  1. I can't say that I blame you Ron. I tried WordPress but didn't like it - hope you do. As for Blogger's new interface, I just opt'd out and forced it back to the old one and so far it has stayed that way.

    I haven't any idea what Spo Land is so I guess I will just have to miss you. Thank you for your comments on my blog.

    When I read your words, "I also have some followers from where I work which restricts what I can write about in my daily life. I can hardly write about work when I know my boss and co-workers are reading my blog..." I thought, so Ron does know why I write anonymously after all. I hope your co-workers don't discover you at WordPress.

    best wishes, Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,

      I may continue writing a blog here, for a short while anyway. I understand why you write anonymously but that is not for me. I like people to know who I am, what I look like, and what I feel. I think I told you this before but the reason I'm not comfortable with "Anonymous" is that I've been fooled several times by "Anonymous" people on the Internet. "Fooled" is actually a nice word. I was lied to. People representing themselves to be one way were totally opposite. They were just playing with me. This has been my experience with "anonymous" folk on the Internet. I can never quite trust them. Perhaps if you got burned the way I did you would feel the same way Max.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. One other thing Max, I keep choosing the old Blogger interface but every time I pull it up again it goes back to the new interface. What did you do to make the old interface permanent?

      Ron

      Delete
    3. Ron, I know what you feel about anonymous people here. Totally understandable. That is why I kept trying to send you email because I thought if I shared more with you or even talked with you that you might be more reassured I am who I write about and not some fictional Max. As for the interface, well I noticed as long as I don't log out, the "old" interface stays (even when I close the web browser). It was only when I did log out, and back in again, that it defaulted to the new interface. When that happened I just went to the options and changed it back. I rarely have any reason to log out, even when I shut my computer down, so it hasn't really been an issue. Now if they force us to stick with the new interface, I will have to rethink how I blog - which I really enjoy and want to continue. I know I won't go to WordPress because even if I am forced to use the new interface here, at least I can do everything I like here, which I couldn't there. Hope that helps - Max

      Delete
    4. Max,

      I have decided to stay with Blogger even if they do force me to use their new interface. I'll just have to learn it. I was in Word Press yesterday and I found using their system even more difficult. I want blogging to be fun, not a chore. Blogger is working on making blogging a chore. I hope they realize their mistake and give us the option of staying with the old format.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Do I detect a note of sarcasm Cubby? :)

      Delete
    2. No sarcasm, but when you're done with those quarters can you send them my way?

      Delete
  3. anne marie in philly8:19 PM

    check your e-mail; c ya on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Mare,

      I'm staying here. Changed my mind. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Good luck in the WP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I changed my mind...again. I'm staying with Blogger. Word Press is even harder. I don't have time to learn all the ins and outs of Word Press

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron - I understand why you are going the way you are. I can imagine how difficult it is not to be able to write everything you are thinking about and how your "friends" have treated you. I have enjoyed listening to you and hope you visit this page to post. I will miss you and Bill. From your friend Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      Thank you for your very kind comments. I have changed my mind and will stay with Blogger.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Word Press is frustrating to say the least but once you get the hang of it, it will be a breeze and with someone with your tenacity and passion you will not quit till you get it right. A quick look at spo-land I did not find you but with plenty of time tomorrow between the doctors for my 100,00 mile checkup will continue to read. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      I have decided to stay with Blogger. I have a Word Press blog and will use it more often (and learn it) but I will continue to make Blogger my main blog.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Spo-land has a lot of tollbooths to get to The Land of Expectations and fellow Bloggers. I will do my best. There are always reasonable attorneys fees and corkage fees, etc. But for you, I will give discounts to mutual bloggers and the pretty ones. No rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      You are wonderful! False alarm here, I have decided to stay with Blogger. I will use my Word Press account more often to get familiar with it. I don't want to lose everything I've invested into Blogger the past five years so I'll let them force feed me the new interface.

      Ron

      Delete
  8. You don't fool around, do you! See you on the flip side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      I changed my mind again! I'm staying with Blogger. I don't have time to learn Word Press. I will use my Word Press blog more often but Blogger will still me the source of my daily blogging.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. I'll find you through our Friend, Spo!
    But I think that even you random Follower will figure out that clue.
    I can't wait to see what you do with Wordpress.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      You're one of the few who understood my reference to Spo Land. I will use my Word Press blog for those things I can't write about in my Blogger account. However, Blogger will still be the source of my main blog.

      Ron

      Delete
  10. I will have to get back to you later to be able to reach you on "Spo land". Or you could let me know the address with a private
    message on Facebook. I have to leave for work now. It will be another long day for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I have changed my mind. I'll stay here on Blogger. No need to look for me in Spo Land (which is simply a link to my Word Press blog).
      By the way, I haven't watched any of my DVR recordings of "DWTS" yet. But I did read where Mark got into an argument with his girlfriend (because he was smoking) at the Playboy Club. Mark smokes? That isn't good for a dancer is it?

      Ron

      Delete
  11. You should have used a pic of Romney you flip flopper! LOL
    You'll adjust and then they'll change it again.
    I visit spo-land daily and would have found you there or I would have had
    to drive down to DE and find you myself.

    Welcome back to the dark side!

    Now if you could do something about my proving I'm not a robot - I hate lying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      Excellent suggestion! I hated using Darryl Issa but the photo seemed appropriate. Your suggestion is much better. I'll change the photo to the King of the Flip Floppers, Willard!

      Ron

      Delete