The best carrot cake I've ever had in my life was a slice I had at Cracker Barrel a few years ago. One bite and I felt like I was entering heaven. I HAD TO HAVE that recipe. I called Cracker Barrel and they graciously told me the recipe was on the Internet for all to share. I copied it, got the ingredients and made it and yes...it turned out just like the piece of heaven I had at Cracker Barrel.
|INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRACKER BARREL CARROT CAKE|
I have made this recipe a few times since then but only on special occasion but it is quite a chore to make. Set aside at lest an hour for preparation. But oh is it ever worth it.
|THE FINISHED PRODUCT (TOPPED WITH CHOPPED PECANS)|
Cracker Barrel The Old Country Store Carrot Cake
- 3/4 cup finely chopped English walnuts
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (8 ounce can with juice)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins that have been soaked in water until plump and then drained
- 1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans for garnish
- Cake: Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil, sugars, vanilla and eggs until smooth and fluffy. Add pineapple, walnuts, coconut, carrots, and raisins and blend well. Gradually add flour mixture a half at a time until blended through.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes. Test with toothpick for doneness. When cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and a little powdered sugar at a time until all has been blended well. Turn mixer on high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy. Spread frosting over the cooled cake and sprinkle with pecans.
- Yield: 24 servings