Monday, December 26, 2011

Unknown Photo Discovered After 54 years!

The collage senior snapshot yearbook page of the Class of 1957


As regular readers of this blog know, I love old photos.  Last week I pulled out a couple of old yearbooks from my high school.  I went to Downingtown High School in Downingtown, Pennsylvania from 1954 to 1959.

I was looking through the yearbooks, reliving old memories and looking for photos to scan into my computer when I came across quite a remarkable discovery.  I found a photo of myself that I had never seen before in the DHS 1957 yearbook!  How surprised was I when I saw that smiling photo of myself?!?

The photo was contained on one of the collage photo pages of snapshots of the seniors.  Since I was a sophomore at that time, my photo should not have been on that page.  The only thing I can figure is that I had a girl friend at that time who was a senior and she must have had that picture of me and submitted it to the yearbook editorial staff when they asked seniors to submit pictures of the collage page.

That's me in the center with all my "girlfriends" surrounding me!

I think there was an inside joke because I was often teased about "all my girlfriends."  HA!  Yes, I had her (Vivian) as a girlfriend but back then I had the eye for the boys, believe me.  I had many, many fantasies about some of the senior guys.  Oh sure, I liked my "girlfriend" but back then you have to realize (The Fifties) that one was expected to have a girlfriend.  I thought my "feelings" about some of those hot senior  boys was just a phase that would pass.  Right!  I am still in that "phase."

So anyway, it was fun seeing this picture of myself even if it took me 53 years to discover it.


That's Smiling Ron!


I wonder how many more Unknown Pictures of Ron are out there?

7 comments:

  1. Are you the same age with your girlfriends? You looked like a baby boy in comparison with them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly12:06 AM

    unknown pix - hmmmm, you may NOT want to know about those (wink wink nudge nudge).

    geez, you started high school the year I was born. WOW! my parents were living in SW philly at that time, along with my mother's sister and parents (mind, not all of us in the same philly rowhouse).

    when my parents moved to paoli in 1958, my grandparents acted as if their daughter were moving to california! the boondocks! so far away!

    life was sure different back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tai,
    No, I wasn't the same age as my girlfriends. I actually only had one girlfriend and that was their classmate Vivian who was two years older than me. I was 14 to her 16. In the photo I'm only 12 years old. I don't know who or where that photo came from. The "girlfriends" all thought I was cute. That's probably why they put this very young picture of me on their collage of senior photos page. Besides, I've always looked young for my age. The pictures I have posted on my Christmas Day blog where I visited my friend Bill B. in PA, we are the same age - 70 years old. I still have my hair, no white hair and I'm not fat like most of my contemporaries. I inherited good genes from my father. He didn't look his age either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tai,
    No, I wasn't the same age as my girlfriends. I actually only had one girlfriend and that was their classmate Vivian who was two years older than me. I was 14 to her 16. In the photo I'm only 12 years old. I don't know who or where that photo came from. The "girlfriends" all thought I was cute. That's probably why they put this very young picture of me on their collage of senior photos page. Besides, I've always looked young for my age. The pictures I have posted on my Christmas Day blog where I visited my friend Bill B. in PA, we are the same age - 70 years old. I still have my hair, no white hair and I'm not fat like most of my contemporaries. I inherited good genes from my father. He didn't look his age either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie,

    I am VERY OLD. A couple more years I'll be The Crypt Keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the ones of you from the mid-70s myself. m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,

    I prefer myself in the mid-70's myself. It's been downhill ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete