Friday, December 16, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mint Chocolate Chip cookies fresh from the oven

Want a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe for the holidays? It's been awhile since I posted a recipe but "tis the season" and I'm a baking cookies celebrating the holidays. Tonight I made a fabulous batch of mint chocolate chip cookies with black walnuts.  Yes,  you read it right... BLACK WALNUTS with MINT CHOCOLATE CHIPS!

Doesn't sound like it goes together does it?  Give the recipe a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Here is the recipe:

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 bag Hershey's Mint Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup black walnuts


Heat the oven to 375 degrees
In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt with electric mixer until creamy.
Add eggs, beat well.
Stir together flow our baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well mixed.
Stir in mint chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Try to eat JUST ONE (bet you can't)


Mint Chocolate Chip cookies cooling on the rack



This recipe differs slightly form the Original Toll House cookie recipe in that it takes 1 cup of white sugar instead of the 3/4 cup.  Also there is only 1/2 teaspoon salt instead of 1 teaspoon salt.  And finally there is 2 teaspoons vanilla instead of the 1 teaspoon vanilla that the Original Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I like the texture and subtle taste if this version of chocolate chip cookies better than the Original Toll House cookie recipe that we all grew up with and feel is the only legitimate chocolate chip cookie recipe.  The minty coolness contrasted with the musky flavor of North American black walnuts challenges your taste buds to a new adventure.

There is only one problem with this cookie recipe that I can find...they are very addictive!  You absolutely cannot eat just one.  So if you're on some foolhardy Christmas Diet, DON'T BAKE THESE COOKIES!

But if you do decide to take the Chocolate Plunge, enjoy!

This is the Mint Chocolate Chip bag you look for in your local grocery store - this works!

11 comments:

  1. I'd like to make them in teddy bear shape LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,

    They will still taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I really like Lo's chocolate chip cookies better than any I've had, so not sure I want her fiddling with them too much. Actually, though, she does. She's made them with caramel and with peanut butter. I'll give her your receipt.

    I remember my grandmother used to put bits of black walnut in them. There was a black walnut tree next to the house (still is actually) and she would gather a bushel basket full every fall for use in receipts.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    I always thought the Toll House recipe (and by the way it is "recipe" not "receipt") was the best but not so much these past few years. I really like this recipe that I tried last night. I may become my new standard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! You know where my office is, right?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,

    What a coincidence! I just printed out the recipe for Egg Not cake (which I plan to make tonight) and then I check my e-mail and here is your comment! Yes, these cookies are very tasty. The chocolate chip mint seems to make the difference plus the slight changes in the standard chocolate chip cookie recipe. I will make more this week. And just where is your office?

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the agenda to be made tonite... just back from Publix to get the ingridients. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3rdnlong,
    You'll like it! Just make sure you use the mint chocolate chip cookies. That seems to make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Spo,

    I gave in to temptation last night and had one too many cookies. That's the only problem with these cookies, I eat too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog! Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete