Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year 2012


In a few hours a new year will arrive.  It just seems like a few months ago that I welcomed in 2011.  The years are flying by!  I was warned that the older I got, the fast the years would fly by.

I remember when I turned 21 years old.  I was in the Army at the time and I was so anxious to become "legal."  I also remember one of my "older" Army buddies (Herb was his name, he even had an old name) said "Don't push it Ron.  Once you turn 21 the years go by fast."  Herb, the "old man", was 26 years old.

Since that day forty-nine years ago, time has flown by.  So much has happened in my life, mostly for the good.  In fact, almost all of it has been good.  A few scary times and even a few times I didn't want to continue but overall, I've had a pretty good life.

The picture at the top of this post was taken by me on my iMac this past Monday, December 26th.  I set up a fancy, fancy background that didn't quite come out the festive way I intended but I'm going to go with it anyway.

I probably won't be awake when Dick Clark mumbles in "Happy New Year!" (is he doing it this year?  I haven't heard).  I'll be fast asleep.  Yes boys and girls; the days of trolling the gay bars in center city Philadelphia are long gone.  These days this old gay guy will be fast asleep by the time the sparkly ball drops in Times Square.

So I will take this occasion to wish all my blogger friends a very happy new year.  In fact I'm going to even with my former blogger friends, who dropped by the wayside this past year, a happy new year (you know who you are).  And to those of my friends who know me personally, I wish you a happy new year too even though some of you don't approve of my blog postings and rarely hesitate of let me know even though I don't post for your approval, I post for myself.

Setting aside all bad feelings, recriminations and general unhappiness, I wish you all a happy new year!

16 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Happy New Year. With wishes for good health, internal peace and the strength to deal with whatever the new year brings to you and your Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    What are you trying to do? Scare the New Year baby? Remember your telephone answering training -- Smile!

    Happy New Year!!!!

    Oh, Yes, Dick Clark is still dropping his balls. Wait, that didn't come out right.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year !
    I hope 2012 is one of your best years yet.
    My journal reminds me you sent me that darling aloha shirt thermos, of which I am most fond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the loveliest of New Years to you too, Bob. May 2012 bring you hapinesses as never before - and with health as fine as you could wish. Here's some Jan 1st hugs for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, Ron. I'm writing this on the assumption that my comment and good wishes here of two hours ago was accepted and will be appearing. (Sometimes, for some reason, they don't).

    Just felt I ought to say that this pic of you is a stunningly good one. After I shut down the computer last time I went for a nap but found this image hovering in my mind's eye. I hope you yourself like it as much as I do.

    Also felt that in wishing you good health for 2012 (which I repeat now in case the earlier wish is stranded 'in the ether') there is an awareness that in people at our stage of life, any good news at all in health is a welcome bonus. I'm sure that, like me, you too feel that parts of our anatomy are thinking of closing down and giving up the ghost (if they haven't done already) while the rest of our frames cling on, trying make the best of what is left functioning. With all that in mind I sincerely DO wish you as good health as can reasonably be expected. Will be keeping on eye on your blog for your situation.

    Take care, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will,

    The best to you this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray,

    Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Always appreciated. My best to you this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry,

    That was my "Steve Jobs" mesmerizing stare. By the way, his book is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Spo,

    Thank you for all your helpful and valuable advice this year. I assume your bill is in the mail? My best to you this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. anne marie in philly7:36 AM

    HAPPY NEW YEAR, RON AND BILL!

    yes, dick clark was on tv for 1/2 hour last night.

    and yes, I was drinking at the neighbor's house last night and didn't get to bed until 2:30a.

    I raised several cosmos to the health of all my gay boyfriends everywhere.

    wonder what 2012 will bring? perhaps another meetup with you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ron,

    Actually, I knew that. When Lois saw your picture that was her comment, "Who is he? Steve Jobs?"

    I wouldn't want to be Steve Jobs, especially since he is dead, but I wouldn't mind having his bank account.

    Maybe I should do a Steve Jobs stare down and put it up for your amusement.

    Happy New Year again.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year to you and Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lar,

    That wasn't' my Steve Jobs Stare. I will have to do one. Be forewarned though, it is dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Nadege. My best to you this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne Marie,

    I missed Dick Clark! Could you understand him? That's the best part of "Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve", just to see if "America's Oldest Teenager" can still talk.

    My best to you and your family this new years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. anne marie in philly8:29 PM

    it is difficult, but if you listen carefully you can make out dick clark's words. the "oldest teenager" is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm ashamed to say.

    it would also help if I were in a quiet room and not surrounded by other tipsy folks enjoying adult beverages whilst dick was on camera.

    ReplyDelete