Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

My Mom - The Best Mom in the World (for me)


Today would have been my Mom's 88th birthday.  She was born December 24th, 1923.  She died September 16th, 2010.

Every year I always sent her a birthday card.  I always gave her separate birthday gifts wrapped in birthday paper.  I NEVER gave her Christmas gifts and said "This is for your birthday too."  She said that happened to her growing up so I always made sure that her birthday was special.



Last year was the first birthday that I didn't get her a card or a gift.  It was a difficult time for me because my Mom was my Best Friend also.  Sure, the last few years of her life she changed and was difficult at times but she was always my Mom.  She literally was always THERE for me.

My Mom and me (leaning on her as usual) and my two brothers  - 1951


Ever since she died I have felt less than whole.  I was fortunate to have had her as long as I did (68 years.)  She lost her mother when she wasn't quite two years old.  She always talked about this mysterious woman who was her mother.  I could tell the she never got over the pain of losing and not having her own mother. I tried to make that up to her by being a Good Son.  Most of the time I did alright.  However, sometimes I slipped but she always forgave me.

My Mom, me and my two brothers - 2005 (only formal portrait picture of us)

Later in her life she liked teddy bears.  Every Christmas I would give her a teddy bear.  Big teddy bears, little teddy bears.  Oh how she loved those teddy bears.

Mom and her Christmas Teddy Bear - 2000

She would put the big ones away after Christmas and bring them out the next Christmas.  The little ones she put in a basket next to her favorite chair in her living room.  After she died my brothers took all of her clothes and gave them to Goodwill.  I took the teddy bears.  I have the big ones in boxes in my basement storage room (much to the chagrin of Bill).  Some of the little ones I kept in her basket and put them on the bed in the room I reservers for her in our new house.  She never got to use Her Room because she spend the last year of her life being cared for my by brother John and his wife and daughter at John's home in Greenville, South Carolina.



The last picture of me and Mom

When I go into Mom's Room now and see her teddy bears looking at me, I feel her presence.  It is a good feeling.

Mom's Teddy Bears in Her Room waiting for her

Happy birthday Mom.

Mom - 1955

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to you Mother! I can fully understand your feelings. My Mom died in December two years ago and I never got over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIMPLY PUT ...... PERFECT !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to Bill and you!
    (I am glad you came do a decision that is right for you, regarding your health. Now you have peace of mind).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nadege. I hope you have a very happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was lovely; thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete