Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Great Day!

A toast between friends this Christmas Day
Just in from my trip to Pennsylvania this morning.  When I got up this morning and saw the sun streaming through my bedroom windows and knowing that Bill (spouse) is still holed up in his bedroom depressed, I thought today would be an ideal day to take my friend Bill B. up on his offer (I have several "Bill" friends as I do several "Bob" friends) and have Christmas dinner with him and his family at their home in Pennsylvania.  Good decision!

"Did you get that picture?"

Bill B. was my best friend in high school.  After a thirty-five year intermission, we renewed our friendship at our 35th class reunion  in 1994.  In fact I have renewed my friends with several of my high school friends and my life is richer for it.

"I think she got it!"

It is a two and a half hour drive for me to get to Pennsylvania.  Normally it is very stressful because I have to contend with long haul trucks, road construction and driving through the center of Newark, Delaware (a college town) which is never a picnic.  However, today my drive up to Pennsylvania was a STRAIGHT SHOT.  I love it when the highways are deserted.  Why can't it be like that all the time?

"Let's do it again!"

My brother Isaac also lives in Pennsylvania.  I stopped by his house (the old family home) but he wasn't there so I left him a note.  No doubt his daughter or his son got him out the house.  He lives alone with his cat.  Ike is a good guy.  I'm glad someone took care of him this Christmas.

"Maybe we need a refill!"

At my friend Bill's I had a reunion with his cousin Ruth, who is a delightful person.  She is one of those people you can tease and tease and she is so good natured about it.  Bill  and I are always teasing someone.  Maybe that's why we're such good friends in spite of the fact that he is a conservative Republican and I am a liberal Democrat.  Funny thing about that, most of my friends are conservative Republicans.  Think it's me?

"Hey! My arm is getting tired of holding this glass of Zin"

The last time I visited Bill and his family was nine years ago.  That was also for a Christmas dinner.  My my, how fast time goes by.  I'm usually working Christmas Day, that's why I don't visit friends on Christmas.  This year it was a treat not to work Christmas Day.

"That's enough, I'm drinking my zin now!
The only downside of the day was that I had to leave so early.  I don't like to drive in the dark.  I really do have problems driving in the dark.  It's hard for me to see things and tonight there was no moon out.  The last hour of the drive home was in the dark but it was a straight shot down Rt. 1 so it wasn't too bad.  I didn't want to drive through Newark, Delaware with all those twists and turns and road construction in the dark.  The sun was just going down by the time I arrived in Newark.  I would probably be down some dead end street in Newark right now if I was caught in the dark.


video



When I was up in PA I did stop my our old house.  It is so depressing.  The place went into foreclosure almost two years ago.  It is so overgrown.  It looks like Grey Gardens.  I probably should stop visiting it.  But I can't help myself.  Bill misses it so much.  I love where I'm living in Delaware but I also do miss the "Old Props" as we call it.

I hope everyone reading this blog post had a wonderful day today.  I know I did.  Thanks Bill and Janet!


I should have worn red!  A fashion faux pas!

8 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly4:03 AM

    thanks for sharing, dear; looks like you had a fine day!

    {{{{{hugs}}}}} to your bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and Bill!

    Red or no red, you stand out in a crowd as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sean! My best to you for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great report, Ron. You were quite a gift to the day. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Ron. You really made our day nicer. I'm so glad you came. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ruth! It was wonderful seeing you again. I hope you have a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you ever drink the damn thing????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Spo,

    I didn't know his daughter was taking multiple pictures! I thought it was only one. Posting all the pictures was a joke. I guess you had to be there. :)

    ReplyDelete