Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Gay Weekend in Sussex County, DE - 1980




One weekend in the fall of 1980 in Sussex County, Delaware.  Before Rehoboth Beach and its environs became the gay mecca that it is today, back in the late Seventies and early Eighties (yes boys and girls, 1970's and 1980's), I used to travel down to the southern most county of Delaware and spend the weekend with my friend from the Army, Big Bob.  Sometimes I would bring friends down with me (like this weekend) and sometimes I would come by myself (that would be another movie).

This movie is a compilation of photos from my 39th birthday weekend in November of 1980.  Yes, I was actually 39 years old at one time!  My friend Big Bob threw a surprise birthday party for me.  My first and last surprise birthday party, and...in fact my last birthday party.  Hey guys, why don't you see if you can do something about that?

Most of the folks pictured in this movie are sadly gone.  However, I'm still here as is Big Bob and a few others.  I'm at the age now where I'm gathering my memories and either writing them down or scanning my old photographs into the computer for this little memorial of a time long gone that will never be repeated.  Sort of like a mini "Boys in the Band" movie (you haven't shown you the WHOLE STORY).

For my straight followers of this blog, I hope I don't offend any of you by showing you this movie but this is my life.  I lay it all out there.  Nothing to hide.  No more job interviews to go on where they can turn me down because I'm gay.  It's all here baby.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Content blocked on copyright grounds. You must have been up to something really really big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I tried to play the video it said the video contains content from EMI who has blocked it in my country. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Tried to play your video, but it has been blocked by EMI for copyright infringement apparently. You may have to remove some of the music.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Decided to try it on YouTube. Blocked. Here is the message you get when you try to play it. "Gay Getaway Weekend in Sussex Country Delaware 1980.mov"
    This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Guys,

    You're right, the content was blocked. However when I bring it up on my computer both in You Tube and my blog, it comes up but not on my iPhone which is what happened when I tried to show it to my friend Bob C. tonight at dinner. I think it was blocked because I am using Enigman's music as background music although I did purchase the music from iTunes and I don't advertise anything on my blog website. I'll have to add different music to my posting and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good, I am glad it wasn't just me who was getting that message!

    Actually, selfishly speaking, I am glad everyone else got that message as I cannot tell you how many times someone has posted a video which cannot be veiwed outside of the US. Then in the comments section everyone is talking about how hilarious/moving/beautiful the video was and I can't watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have changed the music because I saw it just fine. Looks like a great time! You just gotta love the avocado appliances!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walt,

    Notice those avocado refrigerators? Bill and I also had our whole kitchen in avocado! Wow. That was real Seventies. What were we thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, it wasn't you Hank. Apparently Enigma is very proprietary. That surprises me. I don't make money off of my blog. I don't understand but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Ron,
    Love the slideshow.

    I'm amazed at the amount of photos you have documenting your life!
    (I thought I took a lot of pix)

    Were you born with a Kodak Brownie attached to your hand! LOL.

    Best,
    ARF (a ron-fan)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try it again Mark. I changed the music to "Funkytown" which actually is more appropriate because that is the music that was always playing at the Boathouse when we went there in the Bad Old Days of 1980.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ARF,

    Glad you liked the slide show with music! I love putting them together. I do have a lot of pictures but I also missed a lot. I don't know why, but the whole time when I first came out in Pittsburgh, PA (right after I got out of the Army) I didn't take ONE picture. I never thought of it. I don't think I had a camera with me. There are other large swaths of my life that I didn't take pictures either. Just didn't think of it. I guess I went in spurts (no pun intended...well maybe.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect diversion and brought a smile for sure. The thing that stuck in my mind was the caculator in one of the pictures. My father would not let us touch the "expensive" machine when he first brought it home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3rdandlong,

    You noticed the calculator in Fiuzzy's kitchen! He was allowed to take that home because he was the manager/owner of the local 7/11. I remember back then to have a real calculator was a BIG DEAL! You probably just gave away your age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, watching this video is like going back in time. You're smart to scan (and share) these great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark,

    Looking back on those days (from 1970 to 1980) seems like the Dark Ages now. Everyone had to hide lest the locals burn your place down (like they did BOTH the Boathouse and the Renegade) if they found out there were gays in the neighborhood. Vestiges of that prejudice still are around Sussex County. Even in Gayberry (re the patio ordinance).

    ReplyDelete