Sunday, December 18, 2011

Busy Week Ahead

Ron (me)  working on my skin cancer on our townhouse roof deck in Philadelphia 1978

Tomorrow starts the beginning a very busy week for me.  First thing in the morning I have to get up at 4:30 am to get ready to catch the American Legion Post 28 van for the Wilmington VAMC.  Yes folks, it's time for my semi-annual dermatology appointment.  As I have mentioned before in many previous posts, I am now paying the price for all those youthful days of lying on the beach "working on my tan."  Ah,,,the Folly of Youth.  

I was digging through some more old boxes in my basement storage room this morning and I came across another treasure trove of old photos.  The one posted at the top of this post is of my sunning myself on our roof deck at 2409 Naudain Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the Year of Our Lord 1978.  By the way, I never did get much of a tan on the roof deck.  The best tans are had by working in the backyard.  I haven't laid out in the sun for years (twenty or more) and I get the best tans I've ever had in my life.  Just goes to show you that natural is best.

So anyway, tomorrow during my visit to the VAMC (Veterans Administration Medical Health Center) I'm going to try and squeeze in a blood test, and a visit with my doctor to have him check my swollen ankles and lower legs.  The water pills are working somewhat but I still have swelling.  I'm not scheduled for an appointment with my doctor, the only appointment I could make was in the afternoon and since the van leaves at 12 pm, that was impossible so I'll have to charm my way into an appointment in the morning.  It's worked in the past but I'm older now (and grumpier) so I'm not as sure but I'm going to do my Boyish Best.

When I get back from the VA, it probably won't be until about 12:30 or 1:00 so it's a quick lunch and then to work at the hotel. Yes folks, I'm working at the hotel this week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I'm surprised I'm not scheduled for Christmas Day but I'm not holding my breath because we're not there yet.  I'm ALWAYS ASKED to work Christmas Day and New Year's Day.  We'll see if this year is an exception.  

I was talking to a friend on the phone this morning.  He recently completed his radiation treatment for prostate cancer.  Monday he goes back to see if the cancer is cleared.  My biopsy to check if I have prostate cancer is scheduled for Friday, January 6th, 2012.  I've been dreading this.  I feel like I'm walking around with a dark cloud hanging over my head.  Bob says I'm driving myself crazy.  Well...yes.  I just want to get all this over with so I can sit at my computer and scanned the remaining THOUSANDS of pictures I have left.  That's all I ask.


Ron (me) scanning old photos into my computer a few minutes ago (Bill took the picture)


No comments:

Post a Comment