Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Why I Do Reunions

My cousin Barbara with her two daughters and four grandchildren - all smiles


Some people I know never do reunions.  In fact, most of my friends don't do class reunions.  I don't know of anyone who does family reunions.  I do both.

To put on a reunion requires a lot of effort.  Also, another downside to organizing a reunion is I almost always offend some member of my family by some imagined slight.  But I don't let those pitfalls deter me.

The way I look at life is that there are so many negative things going on in our world.  From politics to terrorists to some disease waiting in the wings to take you out of this life.

Almost a day doesn't go by that someone of some organization is asking me to give them money to to donate my time to them.  Sometimes I give,  but mostly I don't.  I don't know where that money is going or what good it is going to do.  And I certainly don't donate my time.  Why?  I just don't have enough of it to give away.  Even though I'm retired, I am kept fully occupied just taking care of my house, my Bill, my friends and my family.  I'm not putting down volunteers, if that's your thing go for it.  But for me it doesn't work.  This is my "volunteering."  I put together reunions.  And this is why:

My cousin Tom, Sr. (on the right) sharing a laugh with his son Tom, Jr.

8 comments:

  1. They look almost the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,
    One of the male Tipton genes is no white hair. My cousin Tom is 74 years old. No white hair. I've been accused of coloring my hair. I have some gray on the sides but no white hair on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reunions are hard work. It was like a full-time job organizing my last Class Reunion and as it was, only a third of the students showed-up. All that effort and for only a small turnout.
    Your Reunion was a success because everyone there was laughing and getting along. The true measure of a get-together.
    By the way, I wrote about your Reunion in my photo dump today. I stole the photo that you took of me photographing your Family as well. It was a good photo.
    Take care. m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    You are so right, reunions are hard work. Sometimes it makes you wonder if it is all worth it but, like you said, when you see all these happy faces, that makes it worth it. I am so glad I asked you to take pictures. Your photos are bringing joy to a lot of people now. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family loves reunions. Alas, the younger generations are less interested, perhaps as the branches spread out we are less interested in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's great that you do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,
    That's what happens with the younger members of the family. They are so caught up in their lives that they don't pay much attention to the old family relationships until they get older like me. I try to keep those ties alive, at least while I'm still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick,

    Thank you. I get a lot of reinforcement and fulfillment buy doing reunions. My next step is to get enlargements of the family group photos and send them to my relatives. Fifty years from now our descendants will appreciate what I've done. That make feel good. I'm actually being very selfish about this.

    ReplyDelete