Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Profile In Courage?

Mike McQuery, assistant Penn State football coach and witness to a crime


For the past week I have been fighting off the urge to write about this whole Penn State sex scandal.  I try not to write a negative posting but sometimes I just have to or else the urge just keeps eating away at me.


So here is what I'm going to say about it so I can get this off of my chest.


There are two things that bothered me greatly the past few years (in addition to the regular crap like politics and the Republicans trying to destroy this country - sorry, I had to get that in).  Ironically both of these Two Things have one thing in common......football.


The first thing was the Michael Vick Episode and his cruelty to animals. That made me sick to my stomach.  I knew there are inhumane people like Michael Vick who walk this earth and I would prefer not to hear about them.  Michael Vick was punished (not enough in my book but that's another whole story) and he supposedly has changed his ways.  I don't believe it for a second but be that as it may.  His story is done and hopefully he will never destroy another animal.


The second thing is this child sex abuse scandal at Penn State.  To me as person like Jerry Sandusky is beneath contempt.  To take advantage of young people like he was accused of, is the lowest form of human behavior and if he is proven guilty, he should spend the rest of his life behind bars away from children so he can never do them harm again.


But here is what really bothers me.  We all know there are animal and child abusers in this world.  That is a known fact.  That evil in our lives will never change  The best we can hope for is that someone will recognize them and their evil acts and stop it and report it to the authorities.

"All that’s necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."


This is a quote from Edmund Burke and it illustrates perfectly the point I am attempting to make in this blog posting.


Mick McQuery was an assistant coach at Penn State in 2002 when he heard a "slap, slap" sound in the shower (according to the grand jury report).  He followed the sound to the shower and saw an 8 or 10 year old boy with his hands above his head on the shower wall being sodomized (anal intercourse) by an older man who he identified as Jerry Sandusky.  The grand jury report said he went home and called his father to ask him what he should do.  His father told him to tell the head coach who was Joe Paterno, the legendary God-like figure on the Penn State campus.  The next day McQuery told Joe Paterno and thus ended Mike McQuery's involvement.


EXCUSE ME?    Oh sure I know that whistle blowers are rarely if ever treated fairly in our culture but a young boy was being raped!  


I know that Mike McQuery was probably more worried about his career than the young boy being raped but that he felt he "had to do something"..........................................................


So Mike McQuery DID THE MINIMUM. 


 He reported what he saw to the coach and then HE DID NOTHING ELSE. 


EXCUSE ME?  


So Mike McQuery can send e-mails to his friends saying that he "stopped it" and he "talked to the police." He can appear at his doorstep holding his little girl, looking like the good family man he perceives himself to be (and going for the pity vote) and give short interviews with cryptic answers that he "did everything he could have done."  


NO YOU DIDN'T MIKE!  


Here's a suggestion Mike.  Here's what most normal men (and women) would have done.  After they got over the initial shock of the horror of what they saw they would shout:


"STOP IT! " and then they would have called the police to report the crime!


If it was me I would have pulled out my cell phone and taken a video of it while at the same time I approached him yelling "STOP IT RIGHT NOW!"  And then I would call 911 to report the crime.  After I was done reporting the crime I would probably pick up a bench (or anything nearby) and throw it at the rapist to disable him until the police arrived.  One thing is for sure, I would cause serious harm to the rapist.  I would DISABLE HIM!


Taking a video may sound over the top but I would have the presence of mind to have PROOF.  I certainly wouldn't be thinking about my career path at this time.  I would be thinking about the 10 year old being raped and the monster who was doing it and putting a stop to it. 


Mike McQuery, a profile in courage?  I think not. 


There, I've said my piece.  Now I can go back to my regular, happy posts.  Thanks for bearing with me.  I just had to get this off of my mind because it's been gnawing away at me for the past week.  











3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I lived for a couple of months at State College with some friends of mine that were doing graduate studies there back in the late 70's. Football out there is literally like a religion.
    But if there are two things I can't stomach in this world are Right Wing Republicans and friggin' football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan,

    We're in total agreement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope others hear and feel so, and justice done.

    ReplyDelete