Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving 2011

Me at Command Central


Another Thanksgiving is here (my 70th) and I am wishing every one of my blog readers and followers a very happy thanksgiving!

I will not be celebrating Thanksgiving in the traditional manner at home like many families.  Someone has to work!  I'm not complaining though.  For most of the past twelve years I have worked at the hotel (I've worked at three different hotels since I retired from banking) on Thanksgiving Day.  I don't mind.  Really, I don't mind.  Actually, the guests in the hotel seem to be extra nice on Thanksgiving Day.  Most of the guests are older folk who are in town to visit their adult children and grandchildren.  For understandable reasons they prefer to leave their adult children's house after the Thanksgiving Feast.

I, as the hotel front desk representative par excellence provide a welcome and comfortable respite from the hustle and bustle and the rambunctious, screaming kids at Thanksgiving.  And yes, I did say "par excellence" in reference to my work at the front desk of the hotel.  How many of you can say that you won a trip to Disneyland (for four days, for two, all expense paid, check for $500 and $100 in Disney money?)  Uh huh, that's what I thought.....NONE.  When I worked at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA I was awarded the Best Guest Service Representative Award for the fourth quarter of1999.  The first and only guest service representative to win that award at that hotel.  Hey, I can't service a car or lay bricks but I can provide the BEST guest service experience and for that work skill I am forever thankful.

Ron on duty Hampton Inn, Lionville, PA 1999
The Hampton Inn Team Lionville, PA 1999
Two of my favorite Thanksgiving guests - Bonnie and Barbara from NYC 1999
Ron settles the cash drawer - my job wasn't all charm and smiles - lots of HARD WORK.


My Award - the only time in my life I ever got an award (or "thanks") for a job well done



I was going to provide a list of everything I am thankful for this year but I'll just shorten it down to one (or two) items.

I am thankful for reaching the age of 70 in reasonably good shape (brain and body still working, albeit slowing down and getting progressively creakier).

I am also thankful for my Bill.  We've been together a long time (47 years) and we still enjoy each other's company tremendously.  Both of us are part of a whole.  One without the other cannot exist.

As regular readers of my blog postings know, I write just as thought come into my head thus the screed about my BEST GUEST SERVICE AWARD.  Hey, if I can't toot my horn, who can?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ready for work at the hotel 1999 (from my home base) - I go to work again today

11 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Bill.

    Will J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    I usually work on Thanksgiving as well - it was a quiet time in hospital, and I got paid a lot of money for it. Somebody always brought dinner. it wasn't a bad deal.

    BTW - You look mighty cute in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you too Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Ron and Bill!
    Your Friends, Mark and Fred and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne marie in philly9:48 PM

    happy thanksgiving to you and bill! I am thankful I got to meet you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Will. A happy Thanksgiving to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,

    You know my secret why I don't mind working Thanksgiving. The guests are nicer and the pay is time an a half. Plus, it is quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nadege. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I didn't finish watching "DWTS" because I knew who was going to win. All the suspense was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mark! I'm glad I got to meet you and Fred this year also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:22 PM

    And a very Happy Thanksgiving season to you and Bill. Also, interesting bio bits. Ted

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Ted. I know a couple of "Teds". I'm not sure if you're one of the "Teds" I know or a new "Ted."

    ReplyDelete