Saturday, November 05, 2011

Gary Papp, The Essential Chef



Today I begin a new feature in my blog, highlighting local folks and events that are unique to this area where I live...southern Delaware.

Today my feature is Gary Papp, The Essential Chef.   I met Gary at the hotel where I work in Lewes.  He and his wife Lorraine frequently cater events that we have at the hotel.  I especially remember Gary because he is one of those rare breed of folk who is friendly to everybody.  The first time I saw him he greeted me by name ("Hi Ron, how are you?")  I didn't know who he was.  He answered my quizzical look by saying to me "I'm Garry Papp and I am providing the food for tonight's event."  Of course I was immediately impressed not only because he addressed me by name (he must have seen my name tag) but also that he took time to even acknowledge me, a lowly front desk clerk.  I don't know how many of you have worked hotel front desks but for those of you who have, will understand me when I say this is very unusual.  We're not usually treated with such kindness and respect by caterers.

Gary and his wife Lorraine have catered many subsequent events at the hotel and they always treat me with this kindness.  In fact, one time Lorraine even made me a dish of the sampling of some of the food they had made for one event because she noticed that I didn't have anything to eat.  She was right, when there is an event at the hotel, I cannot eat in the kitchen.  That was so thoughtful of her and her kindness did not go unappreciated.

Sam Calagione and Gov. Markel - Nick Roth photo from Cape Gazette


Yesterday in the Cape Gazette I saw their picture in the paper along with Sam Calagione, the founder of Dogfish Brewery.  Sam is another kind person who frequents the hotel where I work.  He has visitors to his plant from around the world who stay at the hotel where I work.  When Sam comes into visit them he always greets me with a warm and genuine smile.  He is another one of these "important" people who is kind to this lowly front desk clerk.  In fact the last time he was there he gave me a Dogfish hat.  He must have known I LOVE hats.

Well, I have to get ready to attend our homeowner's meeting.

4 comments:

  1. Sam and Gary seem really nice. How refreshing to have genuine sweet people around you.
    (I have been working a lot, having very little time to read my favorite blogs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadege,

    I do so appreciate NICE people. Gary, Lorraine and Sam are among the nicest. I've been working a lot lately too, filling in for my co-workers. I think I'm getting back on my schedule and I can do my regular blog postings and readings. I'm still enjoying my favorite show, "DWTS" too. Always nice to hear from you Nadege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to a homeowners meeting; perhaps someday you will blood about what they are like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Spo,

    No "blood" was let at this homeowner's meeting. However, in past meetings blood has been spilled.

    ReplyDelete