Saturday, October 01, 2011

Rehoboth Beach October 1, 2011


Getting ready to feed the gulls this morning at the edge of the continent

Under the cover of the early morning darkness, Bill and I stealthily drove out of our still sleeping development to deliver food for those Rehoboth Beach seagulls that loiter around the beach.  I had some food past its expiration date in my refrigerator and it was time to Feed The Seagulls.  Oh yes, I know we are not to Feed the Birds but I do anyway, lawbreaker that I am.  Report me.

Last summer I made the trek to the boardwalk in Rehoboth just about everyday. When I realized that I was paying about $30 a week for gas (Rehoboth is 10 miles each way from our home), I cut back on my trips to the boardwalk.  Plus, I was growing uneasy with the high traffic on Route 1.  It would just be a matter of time before I had a fender bender or worse, what with all the crazy drivers on One.

This past summer I think I made maybe three trips to the boardwalk, each one worse than the next for fighting the traffic and the Summer Hoards of Touristas, bless their money spending hearts.  I have to say I didn't really miss the stress of driving to and fro the beach.

Now that the summer season is ended, I figured it would be safe to return to the beach and take in the sights, sounds and smells of the Atlantic Ocean which I am so fortunate to have so close.  Today was no exception.  I feed the seagulls and got dirty looks from some of the early Beach Traffic.  I ignored them.  Get over it folks.

Then I took a walk "on the boards".  Oh it was good to have that spring in my step again and the exhilarating feeling of getting my blood flowing again from my brisk walking pace.  I love walking on the boardwalk.  If I lived in Rehoboth, I would walk everyday. I walk almost everyday in the development behind where we live, but it's not the same as walking on the boardwalk, listening to the gentle waves rolling in on the beach, the seagulls squawking and the smell of salt air.  I never tire of that experience folks, never.

Not many folks on the Boards this morning - just the way I like it


Bill waited in my car while I took my Stroll on the Boardwalk.  The Usuals were on the boardwalk this morning.  The women who use that ridiculously funny arm movement while they walk, thinking that silly action is going to reduce the size of their hips and fat asses.  Doesn't work ladies.  Then there are those ancient (I guess that would include me) Old Folk who are exercising by walking, hoping to prolong their lives by a few more years by getting their circulatory system going.  And how can we forget the grossly overweight who waddle up and down the boardwalk, hoping to stave off a heart attack and maybe lose a few pounds.  Again, it ain't happening folks but if that's what turns you on, go for it.

The Boardwalk Show never disappoints.  It's all the Humane Drama and Comedy all rolled into one, me included of course.  I don't exempt myself.

At one time I kidded myself that perhaps, just maybe, I might meet a Fellow Walker.  You know, a FRIEND.  HA!  That ain't happening either.  Oh sure, I have received some LOOKS, but look what was looking at me.  No thank you.  They are either too young or too old (and fat).  Isn't that the name of a song?  Oh well.

In a few weeks it will be officially Fall and the last remnants of the Touristas will be gone and I can go into Rehoboth and enjoy all the natural wonder of living near the Atlantic Ocean without the stress of traffic, people and oppressive heat of summer.  Fall truly is the best time at the beach.

Sunrise on the Atlantic Ocean at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, October 1, 2011

3 comments:

  1. When I grew up on Lake Michigan, I used to see the most glorious birds. Then I grew up and realized they were only gulls. But for me they remain glorious birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Dr. Spo, I too think sea gulls are glorious birds. I don't think of them as "only gulls." I've always been fascinated by them since the first time I saw them during my first summer in Provincetown, Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Had a horrible image of your bones standing there picked clean by a swarm of hungry gulls. It gets me how our parking lots about here are so covered by them. I guess the food scraps are day picking.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete