Saturday, October 29, 2011

Rainy Saturday

The view from our deck a few minutes ago - a Wet Day for sure


Here I sit at my favorite spot in the house; my desk in front of my iMac computer with the 27 inch screen.  "What will I write about today?" I ask myself.  Well, that is easy.  As the rain is beating against the windows of this small bedroom which I have converted into my home office, I'm thinking that I really don't want to go to work today.  Yes folks, I'm working again filling in for a co-worker.  This time it is Robert.  He is taking a mini-vaca to Orlando, Florida this weekend so I am filling in for his shift 3 pm to 11 pm today and tomorrow.  Then on Monday I am filling in for Lisa who wants to take her daughter trick or treating.  No matter that I was planning on staying home on Halloween Night myself to personally hand out bags of goodies to the children in my neighborhood.  Lisa asked me if I could take her shift and I just couldn't say "No" because a Mom only has her little girl once for these occasions.  Such is the life of a single man like me who has no children.

So here is my frustration from yesterday.  I bought an device to extend my wireless signal from my home office here to my bedroom on the other side of Casa Tipton-Kelly (our house).  I want to take advantage of Netflix's streaming movie services on my new Sharp 60 inch TV.  I tried to set it up a couple of days ago but the signal wasn't strong enough.  So either I get a 200 foot Ethernet cable to snake through the entire house or I get one of these "extenders" which increases my wireless signal.

Bill took me down to Staples and after I explained my situation to the Staples sales guy, I bought the Netgear Range Extender.  I get it home and of course I can't get it to working.  I call the Netgear Help line and after plowing through the automated menu options I get "Heidi".  In fact I got a "Heidi" with a Chinese accent.  And of course she is reading from a script.  I tell her my problem and she's giving me a solution to a different problem (wrong script Heidi).  Plus, half the time I couldn't understand her because of her baby doll, little girl voice and her heavy Chinese accent (I thought they taught these people to speak Engie when Corporate America outsource their Help Line centers).  I tried, I really tried with Heidi but we weren't getting anywhere especially when she told me to "hook your computer cable to the extender."  That was when I knew Heidi didn't know what she was talking about because that is WHY I GOT THE EXTENDER because I didn't have a 200 foot computer cable!  Oh My God.

Plan B.  I called the Computer Guy that my workplace uses.  I left him a message. I haven't heard from him.  I doubt if I will.  He was here once to set up our network and did a great job but when I subsequently called him, he never returned my call.  Of course the first thing I'm thinking is that he doesn't want to be in the same house with two gay men (we're harmless, we really are).  My previous Computer Guy was gay but he blew up my Dell computer while he was messing around with it so I don't use his services anymore. The only thing I can thank him for is because he crashed my new Dell computer, I decided to get this iMac which I haven't had any problems with since!

The next person I call is the neighborhood geek.  He's a teenager and knows all about this stuff but I felt uncomfortable with him in the house being as young as he was/is.  I called and left a message but I doubt if I'll hear from him.

I'll check with my boss at work (he's good friend with the Computer Guy I called yesterday) and ask him if he is avoiding me/us.  That's fine if he is, I just have to know so I don't waste any more time calling him.  If that's the case then I'll call Anton, who is a Russian and also knows computers.  I won't call the Geek Squad.  They're too expensive plus I don't think half of them know what they're doing.

So that's my Bitch of the Day.  I just want to get my new TV set up so I can downstream movies from Netflix.  I'm so confused with what Netflix is doing now, I just want to simplify things and get back on a coasting course.  I've had too much going on recently with my Prostate Drama.  Which by the way, I'm scheduled for my Biopsy Party at 10 am in the doctor's office on January 6th.  Can't wait.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Hi Ron,

    You could call Netflix again and insist that you speak to somebody in the USA call center. I always do this when I get an operator from an overseas call center. Most of the time they transfer me.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jon. I didn't know that I could do this. Nothing is more frustrating to me than to be unable to understand the person I'm talking with on the Help line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Ah, a rainy day. We started with sleet, then a cold rain/snow mix and now a lot of snow. Didn't expect to be meeting polar bears in October.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of getting the Netflix streaming thing but am fearful of a situation like you're going through. I have my like 32" tv with direct connection to cable which works fine...but it would be nice to stream with a 60.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To repeat what someone said on Facebook when she saw the snow in Pittsburgh "Merry Halloween!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick,

    I just got off the phone with the Help line of Sharp TV. I got a guy named "Larry" who was very helpful. I'm almost there for my streaming movies. I had to change me account at Netflix and the change won't be effective until November 8th. I'll let you know how I make out. It is a headache with these changes but I hope once things are settled down I"ll have more access to movies. That is the future of seeing movies, streaming. I don't want to be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly3:22 PM

    we had a rain/snow/sleet/snow mix...about 4 inches of yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would suffer through all of your TV problems if I could have the view you enjoy on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rain. I find it hard to think of anything cross or sad happening when there is rain going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Spo,

    I never complain about rain. At least I never try to. Listening to rain fall always gives me a sense of inner peace. Of course I like the sun too. I love life.

    ReplyDelete