Thursday, October 27, 2011

Prostate Update

Me acting silly at one of those bank Christmas dinners.  I should wear these glasses when I get my biopsy.

Here's the latest developments on my prostate situation.  I had made the decision not to get a biopsy but instead go with the MRI-S which is 600 to 800 MRI photos of my prostate to be examined to see if there is cancer in my prostate.  I called my urologist and and I expected, he said "that doesn't show prostate cancer."  I suspect that he doesn't have the equipment.  I asked him "What happens if, after the biopsies are taken I still have a high PSA score?"  He said "We are looking to see if you have a BIG cancer or a small cancer.  If you have a small cancer then treatment probably isn't necessary but we will monitor it."


The chances of my having prostate cancer are very high because of the results of my Free PSA score.  It should be over 25% and my score is 5%.  Everything I read on the Internet about the Free PSA score indicates a high probability of cancer.

So here is my dilemma.  In a few weeks I'll be 70 years old.  Everything I hear is that prostate cancer is a slow growing cancer and a man my age,  as my doctor told me at the beginning of our consolation last week, "will probably die of another cause."  What a choice?  Live my remaining years knowing I have a cancer growing inside of me, even if it is a slow growing cancer or going through the procedure of getting biopsies on a regular basis with the possible result of having one of the standard treatments for prostate cancer which could have life changing side effects?  I would prefer not to post these negative blog postings but the only way I blog is to write about my life and the way I see the world without offending anyone too much.

So I have decided to go through with the biopsy procedure which is now scheduled for January 6th, 2012 at 10 am.  That gives me something to look forward to over the holidays.

Now my next blog posting will be about the dust up on "DWTS" between Maks and Len.  Now that will be a more fun posting.  And no disrespect to Chaz Bono, who worked very hard on "DWTS" and did an admirable job but come one, he did look like a little penguin last week didn't he?

The Regular Ron will be back.  I promise!

5 comments:

  1. Ron, I don't know what to say other than I will be keeping you in my heart and thoughts. ((HUGS))

    P.S. I am looking forward to your take on the whole Maks/Len thing! I feel that Maks was WAY out of line and should apologize. Maybe DWTS should give him a season (or two) off to cool his jets. After all, his hunky brother can easily take his place! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not afraid to die... never have been, but being a person that only knows how to look a problem in the eye and go after it to solve it, cancer is one thing that scares me because of it's latent 'hiding'. Often, I get paranoid that there's something going on inside me and it takes a great deal of rationalization on my part to 'talk myself down'. I think it's good that you're having the biopsy... at least you'll know what you're dealing with and can act accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Thank you for your comment. Like you, I am not afraid of dying. I am afraid of a long and lingering, humiliating death where I am dependent on others in my last days. I don't want to go that way. Also like you, I am not at all comfortable knowing that a cancer is growing inside of me, ready to spread to the other parts of my body at any given time. You said it so well when you said you "have to talk yourself down." That is exactly what I am doing now, "talking myself down" or else I'll go crazy. Not a good time these days David. I'm trying not to bring everyone else down with me but I do feel the need to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a dilemma and gamble - do you wait or do you do something about it? I've seen success stories with both approaches. Go with what feels right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Spo,

    Life is a gamble. This decision I have to make now brings LIfe into focus big time. What feels right to me is to get the biopsy and then go from there. Thank you again for your advice.

    ReplyDelete