Monday, October 31, 2011

First Frost

Bill getting rid of the frost bitten impatiens 


This morning when I looked out my bedroom window I saw something that I haven't seen for almost a year....frost.  Oh yes folks, the green grass of our backyard had a cool, white sheen of sparkling frost.  Well, that spelled the end of our beautiful impatiens flowers.  Unlike the hardy mums or winter pansies, the impatiens go limp at the first touch of frost.  They are history now.  Bill is removing them even as I type this blog posting.

My sad impatiens flowers - they put on a fabulous show this year - THANK YOU!

I worked at the hotel again last night (two days in a row again) and tonight I work again.  I sort of feel like I'm on the FULL-TIME WORKER TRAIN again.  I don't have time to breath or do much of anything else.  I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to getting back on my two day a week work schedule.  Hopefully that will happen next week.  If it doesn't, then I'm going to have to learn to say "NO" the next time one of my co-workers has an emergency.  Not that I mind working and the type of work I do.  I LOVE my job but I just don't want to work at it full-time.  I need some time to myself.

I'm seriously thinking this year of NOT going all out with the Christmas decorations.  Maybe put some lights up in my new river birch trees in the new garden island in the backyard.  That way Bill and I can see the festive Christmas lights from our sunroom plus our neighbors can see them from the street as they ride by our house.  I'm just not into doing the whole THING in front of the house again this year.

Time for lunch now then a nappy-poo before I go to work.  I have a lot of blog subjects that I want to write about but I don't want to write until my mind is relaxed.  I don't do well when I'm rushed. Once I get back into my regular cycle then I'll be good.  At least as good as I'll ever be if you know what I mean.

7 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly5:30 PM

    at least you didn't have 4 inches of snow to shovel, like we did!

    today the snow is mostly melted.

    trick or treat, smell my feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My impatiens are history, too. They just got too leggy and then we had a light frost, so I just took them out last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt,
    It only takes one frost to knock out the impatiens. They are our favorite plants during the summer. However, they do struggle in the extreme heat. Now it's time to put in the winter pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, we ARE the winter pansies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are still hitting the 80s and use AC
    Frost! what a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walt,

    I left myself WIDE OPEN for that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,

    Fall has officially arrived around here and I am glad of it. Nice, cool, brisk temps. Probably my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete