Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Who's Been Eating My Porridge?


The culprit on my dill plants

One of my favorite summertime treats is freshly made zucchini soup with dill.  I grow my own dill plants in my backyard.  I grow LOT of dill in my backyard.  Thus I was somewhat perplexed yesterday when I ventured out into my private backyard Eden and found no dill.

What happened?  It didn't take me too long to discover that I am now sharing my backyard dill plants with the pupa of the black swallowtail butterfly.

I've already given up on harvesting much of my parsley plants because the swallowtail pupa also feast on that herb. This summer however they had a tough time because the pupa apparently are a favorite food source of the Purple Martins that take up residence in my backyard every summer.  I think the Purple Martins won that battle because I haven't seen too many adult black swallowtail butterflies in our backyard this summer.

The Purple Martins left about three weeks ago for South America.  The swallows have also gone points south.  Except for an occasional sparrow, our  backyard is bird free.  Thus all of my dill plants (and I have plenty) are covered in the green and black swallowtail pupa.

So I took the zucchini dill soup off of the menu and have instead substituted fresh garden tomato herb soup.  I made a batch yesterday, delicious!


4 comments:

  1. They may be destructive but they sure are cute!
    m.
    p.s. Now I'll be singing "Shadow of your smile" all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great shot! It sounds like you solved your problem with a different but equally delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    There you have it, the cycle of life in nature.


    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry,

    That's fine with me, the Cycle of Life (as long as I'm not the one being eaten).

    ReplyDelete