Saturday, August 27, 2011

Tornado Hits Lewes



Just got the news that a tornado touched ground and totally destroyed a house in Lewes and damaged fifteen others!  The house was located off of New Road, two miles from where I live and my route to work.  Too close for comfort!

It's been raining here hard with the winds since two this afternoon.  It's still raining hard with a few brief lulls and it is 10:15 PM now.  I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear of a tornado tearing the roof off of my house.

I was just talking to my friend Larry in Claymont (upstate Delaware) on FaceTime and he started to hear transformers pop.  Sure enough, after about the third pop I lost him.

I've been checking the hurricane storm tracker on Weather.com but it seems that it's stuck right over where we live for the last four hours!

The winds are really picking up now and the lights are flickering.  I better post this before I lose power.


7 comments:

  1. I heard about the tornadoes on CNN. The weather man said that they only last few minutes but according to your post, that is long enough to inflict a lot of damage. I am with you Ron, I want Irene to vanish very fast. Enough is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly2:50 AM

    jeebus! it's almost 3a here and we have the rain, but no wind and we do have power. it's been raining since 1p yesterday. flooding is our issue.

    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadege,
    I kept checking the Storm Tracker and it seemed like it would never leave our area. It finally did thank goodness. Now we just have some wind and misty rain. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie,

    The tornadoes was my biggest concern and darn if one didn't hit! Wow. We still have winds here but not as bad as yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a relief in your part that the tornado didn't hit your area or would have experienced something terrible like the picture above. A damaged roof is hard to take because it will most likely affect the other parts of the house. It's more difficult when there's a strong rain, as you'll have to deal with leaks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a relief that a tornado didn't hit my house. It was touch and go there for a while.

      Delete