Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Neighborhood After Irene


Just got back from a quick walking tour of my end of the neighborhood. Wayne, call the authorities!  I stepped out of my house!  Wayne (aka "The Cajun") is my friend who lives in Rehoboth who got his panties all twisted into a knot because I took a ride into Rehoboth Beach early yesterday morning BEFORE THE STORM and took some videos.

The winds have died down considerably but are still here and there is a light rain falling.

There wasn't too much damage in the neighborhood.  My neighbor Barbara's cherry tree looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa now after Irene's visit.  My neighbors the Hughes' flowering plum tree has a big branch sheared off the bottom.  It probably need to be trimmed anyway, Mother Nature took care of it for them.

At the end of the development, the large sand bed which I cross over into the neighboring Oyster Rocks development for my daily walk, is now covered with water.  It is quite the lovely pond now.  My neighbor Alan and his wife Reggie, who just sold their house because they wanted a "water view" down on Rehoboth Bay, now have there "water view" right here in our development.  If you look closely at the video you can see wood ducks paddling at the far right end of the "pond."

I'm going to take it easy today.  Update my Find a Grave account, Ancestry.com and check my Facebook and e-mails to see what is going on outside of my little universe here.

I am so thankful we didn't lose power.  At least we haven't lost power...yet.

12 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly9:04 AM

    YAYZ! you made it!

    we have a tiny bit o water in our basement; not bad, since the 5+" of rain has nowhere to go.

    at 9a the rain has stopped and we have 30mph winds. all trees are standing; we have powe.

    spouse is currently making corncakes (pancakes using a box of corn muffin mix), REAL butter and maple syrup, and coffee.

    all is fine in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the storm passed without damage to your house!
    Janice and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie, corn cakes? Did you ever try using cooked corn sliced from the cob in your pancake batter? We call that "corn fritters." I got the recipe from my Mom. They are delicious! Try it. I'm glad your house came through fine after Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Janice and Mike. I am so relieved. We had more damage from a windstorm a few months ago that tore a section of shingles of our roof off. I was really concerned about tornadoes. I am glad that's passed. I hope both of you get through the storm with no damage too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! Glad to hear everyone is safe, and that you didn't get swept away during your earlier trip to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least someone is worried about you and what you do. You could have been swept away... or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't lose power as I really like these updates. I am going to watch the neighborhood video now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you made it through OK.

    Also good to know that you have people in your life who care about you enough to get their"...panties all twisted into a knot." Although you may not see eye to eye on decisions, care and concern is still there. Indifference would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimberly (and every one else who was concerned about my earlier trip to the beach)'

    I went to the beach a good twelve hours before the winds of Irene even began. That's why I went so early. I was not one of those people who go down to "experience the thrill" of the waves and high wind. I only went down to see a boarded up beach resort town in August which was probably a once in a lifetime event. My friend Wayne is a major scold who finds fault in just about anything including a very safe trip I made to the beach that morning. I tease him whenever I get a chance about him "getting his panties in a twist" when he gets into one of this scold hysterics.
    All is well here. Lots of tree damage and one house completely destroyed by a tornado and fifteen damaged. I'm glad this episode is over. The sun is out now but the winds are still high.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will,

    All is fine here and believe me, I was quite safe when I visited the beach yesterday morning, a good twelve hours before Irene arrived. That was just Wayne getting hysterical again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nadege,

    You and me both! I am SO GLAD I didn't lose power. A lot of folks around her did though. We used to lose power all the time when we lived in Pennsylvania (in the middle of the woods). We rarely lose it here (thank goodness).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron,

    As you know by now, we did lose power and when the power came back the next day, we discovered we had lost cable, so no TV, phones or internet. That came back today. I am trying to catch up with everything I couldn't get to for the last couple of days. Everything I do is over the internet anymore. I was cut off from the world. Catching up on your Blog posts now, as you can see.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete