Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mr. Fixit

Bill examining the Roomba robot vacuum cleaner


This is Bill, trying to figure out why our neighbor's Roomba robot vacuum cleaner is acting erratically.  Barb (our neighbor) says "it just goes around in circles."  She ask Bill to "take a look at it", which in Bill parlance means TAKE IT APART AND SEE WHAT MAKES IT TICK.

Well, back in Bill's previous life, he was an electronics technician.  He retired in 1982 from that job to take care of our house and grounds and ME fulltime (I am high maintenance).  Needless to say a LOT has changed in the electronics since 1982.  We're talking almost 30 years.  But Bill still likes to take things electronic things apart.  He took our friend Bob C.'s computer apart when it crashed on Bob.  Bill found the hard disk.  He proudly showed me the shiny silver disk saying "Hey Ron, this is a hard drive."  Uh...big whoop (I guess).

Bill's "office" is full of disembodied electronic equipment that had the temerity to quit functioning.  When we go on our thrift shop excursions, the first place Bill heads is for the baskets of discarded, nor orphaned electronic equipment that is no longer fashionable, loved or usable.  He usually finds a goodie or two.  They go into his ever increasing collection of "spare parts."

I will give Bill credit though.  Over the years I have been very fortunate to have my very own Mr. Fixit in house.  God knows I am about the least mechanically inclined person that ever existed.  I can cook, I can garden, and I can talk your ear off but can I fix a leaky faucet?  I wouldn't know where to start.  Bill is my live in maintenance man.  He's cheap too.  Give him a can of beans and he's happy.  He is very low maintenance unlike you know who.


So did Bill get the Roomba robot fixed?  Sorry to say but no.  It was those darn teeny weeny computer chip boards again.

8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Bill would have something to talk with my late father-in-law about. Harry was the same way and his home was strewn with all kinds of electronic guts from who-knows what all.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. A low maintenance guy who can fix things!?!?! Luck out! I need to find me one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin,
    Do you know how many times I've been told that very comment in our forty-seven years together? Thousands! Hardly a week goes by that a neighbor or friend doesn't tell me how lucky I am not only to have Bill who is a great guy but he is my in house handyman. The only problem is that everybody wants to use his services. Some years ago he had to start saying "No", which he hates to do. Another thing, Bill spends NO MONEY. I'm the BIG SPENDER in this family. We know how lucky we are not to have TWO BIG SPENDERS in this family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    If Bill goes before I do, then the thrift shops around here are going to have a treasure trove of electronic spare parts dropped on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my very own "Bill". Thank God! I can't do a damn thing!
    Happy Monday.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The important thing is that you have each other. I loved that photo of you two on your anniversary. I have been just too busy to comment. P.S. did you ever see that SNL skit with the Womba?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meadow,
    Bill and I compliment each other almost perfectly in our interests and abilities. I like running the household, taking care of the finances, cooking and gardening. Bill is the master at handyman stuff. I'm not. I couldn't imagine living with someone like me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,

    Fred is your handyman?

    ReplyDelete