Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hungry Hummingbirds

The worst is over (I hope).  I awoke this morning at 4:23 a.m. exhausted.  Yes, exhausted.  Not because I was outside in the sturm und drang of Hurricane Irene but because I was worried about a tornado hitting our house.  As I reported in my previous blog posting, a tornado did hit in nearby Lewes, totally destroying one house and damaging fifteen others.

I haven't got out and assessed the damage in our neighborhood here but I do see my neighbor Barbara's beloved cherry tree listing at a 45 degree angle.  Of course my beloved impatience are gone which I fully expected to happen with the deluge of water that was dumped on us yesterday by her highness Hurricane Irene.  However, I usually lose those impatience anyway during a heavy thunderstorm which happens almost every summer so no big loss there.  I will miss the that riot of color in the front of our house.

We didn't lose power!  Of that I am so thankful for.  Wow.  I did lose my satellite TV for several hours because of the heavy cloud cover and rains but that was also to be expected.  My satellite TV reception is back now and the news is all about New York and its environs which are about to be smacked in the face my Irene in a few hours.

We still have winds around here but nothing like those sustained winds we had yesterday for about twelve hours.  Man did that ever get old after the first ten hours or so.  The winds began about two in the afternoon and kept up until I went to bed at about 11:30.  I woke up at about 2 am. I think that is when the roaring winds finally stopped.  Oh how sweet that silence was.

I'm still keeping the bathtubs full of water just in case Tidewater (our water supply company) decides to turn off the main water supply.  We got a TON of water yesterday from Irene.  The retention pond at the end of our development, which has been a dry desert bed all summer, is now a beautiful pond. My neighbors at the end of our development now have their much desired "water view."

I have a headache and am still exhausted by all the drama of the past twenty four hours but I am so thankful that we survived intact from this latest calling card from Mother Nature.

Note:  the video on this blog was taken this morning of the many humming birds that are now feeding at our humming bird feeder.  Their main source of food was cut off during Irene's onslaught.  You should have seen them fighting for position at the feeder yesterday during the height of the storm yesterday, the poor things.  I'm glad we have something out there for them to sustain them during this period of need for them.  Not only people and pets need help during the storm, the humming birds need a little helping hand.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you made it through this crazy hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nadege! I am too! So relieved. Now to get back to normal or what passes for "normal" around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I remember when I was a small boy a hummingbird came around me. Scared me to death. I thought it was a giant bee.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete