Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Graveyard

All Saints Cemetery, Angloa by the Bay, Delaware
Hey folks!  If you're wondering where I'll be the next few days, here's a clue.

Oh, do not worry.  I'm still alive and making waves wherever I happen to plant my feet. But where I will be the next few days is updating my Find a Grave account.  I still have several hundred pictures I've taken of graves here in Sussex County that I haven't posted to my Find a Grave account.  Most of my pictures were taken in 2008,  three years ago!

At that time, except for one guy (Russ Picket), I was the only person trolling through the graveyards here in southern Delaware, recording the names and dates of those folks who never made it out of here.  That's what Bill calls those in the cemeteries down here, "They never made it out."  Well, we'll make it out.  I've already purchased two side by side lots at the Northwood Cemetery in Downingtown, Pennsylvania for both me and Bill.  I haven't purchased the headstones yet.  I haven't decided what kind I want yet.  So many choices and time is growing short.  I think this is the year I take the plunge (no pun intended).


However, since those virgin a days of 2008 when I had the cemeteries mostly to myself, competition has arrived!  A few weeks ago when I started to post my records and photos of graves, I noticed that many of them were already posted!  What the hell?  Turns out that some other fine folk who live in this wonderful part of Delaware have joined Find a Grave and taken up the Cause with a vengeance.  And one of the cemetery trollers is another gay guy who I thought was busy enough with his job as Governor Markell's liaison with the gay community!  Apparently he has enough time to usurp my self-designated function of recording all the grave sites here in good old, isolated Sussex County.  Like I said "What the hell?"

 So, for the next few days I'll be posting names and dates and photos of those Sussex County, Delaware residents who "never made it out."  So as Linda Richman said "Talk among yourselves" until I return.

Psst...if you know who Linda Richman is then you passed "I Am Gay 101".  For those of you who have NO IDEA, Google her..him...it.

"Linda Richman"

14 comments:

  1. No cremation? I think it's so much easier. But if have your heart set on a beautiful casket and headstone, I won't stop you.
    Okay, enjoy your days in the graveyard. You walking around and living might upset the residents there. You know, the ones that didn't get out.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Richman! I'm getting a bit verklempft just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, it's not strange at all of making/choosing the grave for an old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    Absolutely not! No cremation! At one time I had cremation in my will. Then after attending a few funerals I realized that I was being selfish by not leaving a memorial behind for my relatives and friends and of my time on this earth. The living need a place to relive their memories of the departed. I wholeheartedly believe in graves and headstones now. There is a reason for this civilized custom. Honor the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will!

    You are so cool! You're probably the only one who reads my blog that knows who Linda Richman is! I love her! He have a poor imitation down here in Rehoboth Beach. She/he calls herself "Miss Richmond of 1981" but she/he is just a sad, unfunny drag queen. Not like Mike Myers, a true comic genius.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tai,

    You understand. A civilized culture honors the dead by this custom. I believe in it wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly3:14 PM

    uh oh, I did NOT pass "I Am Gay 101" (like you are surprised?).

    off to google!

    have a wonderful time amongst the forefathers/mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something about butter and Streisand I believe. They will have to butter me up to get me in a coffin at this rate. I agree with Mark, cremation is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne Marie,
    Linda Richmond is an example of camp humor. Straight people never get it. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff,

    No way cremation. If I do that I might as well donate my body to science. No way either. I'm an organ donor. I'll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my parents liked to explore graveyards, the historic ones anyway. Lots of history there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a cremation fan either. When I get round to it (and I'd better hurry up) want to have an eco-burial (no funeral service, please) in a rapidly bio-degradable cardboard coffin - so a tree can grow out of my chest! I agree it's good to have a focus-spot where those who survive one can go to meditate on the departed, though in my case, as there's not a single person within easy travel distance, there's no such issue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ray,

    I agree with you that it is good to have a focus-spot for your survivors to go to remember you. Even though your survivors may be miles away, with Find a Grave anyone can "visit" your grave. Our western, civilized culture has many traditions that I agree with, this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr. Spo,

    I always liked to explore graveyards, even before I know about Find a Grave. I always get a sense of peace and tranquility walking among those who no longer share the pain, travails and sorrow of this earthly bound existence.

    ReplyDelete