Friday, August 26, 2011

Getting Out of Dodge

And here I thought I was going to have a nice quiet weekend.  The laugh is on me and about fifty million other residents of the Eastern seaboard who are in the path of Hurricane Irene.

The video I have posted I took a few hours ago of the steady stream of traffic going north on Route 1.  Normally on a summer Friday morning such as this, the steady stream of traffic would be traveling SOUTH on Route 1.  However, since governor Markel has declared a state of emergency and mandatory evacuation of Ocean City, Maryland; Rehoboth Beach, Bethaney Beach, Dewey Beach and Lewes, Delaware many are headed north.....to what?  Dry land?  I don't think so.

Hurricane Irene storm path up the east coast

Bill and I are going to tough it out here in Casa Tipton-Kelly, 2 miles east of the water.  Yes, we are east of Route 1 which is a bad sign but we're not "on the water."  Those who are "on the water" will probably be "under the water" come this Sunday.  I feel bad for my neighbor Alan who is moved to a house right on Rehoboth Bay.  Oh man, I stayed there once about five years ago and during a nor'easter the house I was housesitting in was SURROUNDED BY WATER!  I called the gals who I was housesitting for (they were luxuriating in the mild climes of Florida that January) and expressed my concern that me and their cat would be up on the roof of the house if the water came up much further.  They told me not to worry, "it always does that."  They were right, the house wasn't flooded. By the way I was housesitting because the previous year their house was flooded but by a faulty washing machine hose.  One thing good came out of that experience, I learned that while living "on the water" gives you nice views, there are downsides.

Delaware braces for unprecedented storm


So this morning Bill and I made a run to our friend's house in Milton and closed his attic windows.  Six to twelve inches of rain are forecast.  We stopped at Ace Hardware to get some batteries for our flashlights for when the power goes out and it WILL GO OUT.  I have no doubt of that fact.

As you would guess I wasn't the only one with the idea to get fresh batteries.  I got some but the selection was slim to none.  There wasn't much comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only long faced customer in the store looking in vain to replace my weak and dead batteries.

Delaware Governor orders residents and tourists to evacuate - we're staying here


Once we got home Bill had me help him drag the generator out of the shed.  We did have wheels on it but who knows where they are now.  So here is the picture of two OLD MEN dragging a generator over about an acre of lawn to our garage.  After a lot of huffing and puffing we got it there.  I was worried about scaring the lawn. I shouldn't have worried, all the dragging did was pull up some more wire grass.

The next item on the Emergency Agenda was to gather all my important papers in case we have to Get Out Of Dodge ourselves.  We don't plan to go anywhere.  Where would we go?  A shelter?  I don't think so.  Now I know why other folks are reluctant to leave their homes when disaster approaches.  I'm telling you, this is scary man.  Seriously, it is scary.

Looking ugly


Then I gathered up my old photo albums that I have in our FINISHED BASEMENT.  Oh yes, it's all finished.  Wall to wall Berber carpeting.  With six to twelve inches of rain forecast to fall in a short period of time some of that wet stuff may find it's way into our basement even though we have a drainage system outside the door.

I'm getting depressed talking about all this.  I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep blogging about this impending disaster. I'll keep at it until the power goes out.

I was so hoping for a nice, quiet week to sitting at my computer and posting those six hundred or so pictures I took of graves to my Find a Grave account.  I took those pictures this past Wednesday during our Pennsylvania Excursion.  Originally we were going to go up to Pennsylvania this Sunday.  Can you imagine?  I don't like to drive in rain as it is, I've never driven in a hurricane and I don't intend to.

I hear this is a Once in a Hundred Years Hurricane that is about to hit the Delmarva peninsula (that's where we live folks).  I was sort of hoping I would be long gone when the Big One hit.  Looks like that's not going to happen.

Stay tuned.  News as it happens

We're ready 





8 comments:

  1. It's going to be a bumpy ride! m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    When I was a kid, I looked forward to the "thrill" of Hurrican Hazel (1954). However, when I was out in it I was scared sh..tless" I AM NOT looking forward to Irene but we are going to ride it out. I'm scared and not ashamed to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please please please tell me you have flood insurance and windstorm insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Bill and you, your gorgeous home, your neighbors, everybody... will be safe. I haven't had time to watch the news but it seems like it is not a hurricane anymore so hopefully, you will ride this out and be happy when it is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron please keep Bill and yourself safe! If it gets to bad please don't be too stubborn/proud to seek safe shelter. I will be praying for your safety.
    Much love, Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cubby,

    We have the standard insurance but I believe we have a higher deducible amount on the wind and flood because of the location of our house. I had no choice when I had the house built here. I got all the insurance it was possible to get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadege,

    Thank you so much for your good wishes. We are sitting here with a sense of foreboding. I just heard where the residents of New York City have been given a mandatory evacuation. Where are they going to go? Now that we're in the center of this, I understand why people act as they do in these natural disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bobbi,

    Good to hear from you. I feel like we're friends already! We're ready or as ready as we can be. Our generator is working so at least we can keep the refrigerator and freezers going when we lose power (and we will). Bill says if it gets "too bad" we can always take shelter in our car. Now we await. This is different. We're so used to reading about this happening to other people.

    ReplyDelete