Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Consider



Consider this, in the last two weeks I've experienced an earthquake, a hurricane and the results of my second blood test came back and yes, my PSA score is still over the top.

The Next Step is in order now.  I've called and made an appointment with a urologist.  The earliest he can see me is October 21st.  I hear that prostate cancer (if in fact I do have it) is a slow cancer (if you're going to get a cancer I guess that's the kind to get) so I guess I have TIME.

I offer no excuses nor apologies for writing about my newest medical challenge.  One benefit that has come of me not being the Strong Silent Type (Gary Cooper I'm not) is that I'm finding out that several of my friends and relatives have gone through the same experience. They have all survived.  The only relatives who haven't survived a cancer of which they should have gotten a test was my cousin Jeffrey and uncle Sam.  They both died of colon cancer because they refused to get an colonoscopy.  I've had four colonoscopies thank you.  The most recent a few months ago and yes, I came out clean as a whistle (so to speak).

So life goes on.  I'm concentrating on updating all my genealogy and cemetery information on the Internet lest I have a limited time left on this earth.  Well, actually if you think about it we all have a limited time on this earth.

I may be jumping ahead of myself here but what I'm thinking about now is what kind of treatment do I want to get if I do have prostate cancer.  The radioactive seeds and female hormone injections or fifteen weeks of radiation, five days a week (like my friend will be undergoing shortly).  Of course I could have the whole prostate removed but you know WHAT THAT MEANS.  Don't ask me to explain.  Look it up.

One thing the earthquake and Hurricane Irene did was to take my mind off of my new Medical Adventure.

Oh yes, and now I am having trouble chewing on the right side of my mouth.  I have a dental appointment next week that was already scheduled (teeth cleaning).  I wouldn't be surprised if I needed root canal.

I feel like I'm falling apart.  Watching a new season of "DWTS" will take my mind off of these negative thoughts swirling around in my head.


13 comments:

  1. I know several men who have decided to take the “wait and watch approach”. to sensible eating and self care, their prostate cancer has not changed. so don't jump to immediate conclusions of what you should do until you get as much information as possible. particularly about the pros and cons of each option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my dad and my best friend's dad had high psa levels. My dad's turned out to not be cancer, just something he had and had to continue to watch. My friend's dad did have prostate cancer and looked at all his options. He opted for radiation "beans". Other than not being able to hold his grandchildren for a short period of time due to the radiation, he came through it all with flying colors and has been cancer free since - about 7 years. He didn't choose surgery due all those things you don't want to explain. They both said that this kind of cancer is VERY treatable. I'm sure you have gotten a bazillion stories and advice, and I'm just some dumb girl, but I did want to share that those two both had happy endings for high psa levels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly2:20 AM

    you are strong, you CAN and WILL defeat this, and you WILL be kicking someone's ass at age 100!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    I had radiation treatments for my Graves Disease. very weird experience it was. It was only a couple of weeks. Had an orange grid painted on my face that I wasn't allowed to wash. They had me lay on a table with this big thing above me, like those giant ray guns mad scientists had in old time movie serials. Then they told me make sure I lie absolutely still. Of course as soon as they said that my nose would begin to inch. Next they assured me it was totally safe, just before they all ran out of the room and hid behind a lead shield.

    It'll give you plenty to Blog about if nothing else.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad news. Ugh. Sorry to read it.

    My hubby's dad had the directed radiation therapy to deal with his prostate cancer several years ago. It did not make him ill (so he says, but he tends to lie about such things), and he's been cancer-free since the treatment.

    I got my fingers crossed that your treatment will be as easy and successful as his.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you.
    And no, I don't want to look it up. I'm sure it's bad.
    Take care.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron, I am sure everything will go well with your treatment (whichever you choose). Try not to worry too much and let the pros do their job, trust them and enjoy life. It might not always be a cake walk, but life is truly a miracle and we forget how wonderful it is sometimes, forget to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you my friends for your thoughtful and informative advice. I want all of you to know that I am not "down" about this. I look at it as just another speed bump in my wonderful life. I have been so lucky to have had such a good life and now that I am almost 70 years old I consider any extra time I have on this earth as a bonus. Considering that I was given up for dead when I was 17 years old (a botched surgery and I contracted a staph infection which took three operations to get rid of), I consider myself as having living on borrowed time since 1959. I've had a good run. Would I like another ten or 15 years of good health? Sure but if that is not to be then I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Hello Ron,

    Sorry to hear your numbers were still up. My uncle had the radiation seeds about 8 years ago & no problems since. The radiation did cause some tiredness but nothing a good nap did not cure & I know how you like naps.
    Good luck with whatever course you & your drs. decide on. You aren't that far away, so I'm here if you need me.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know things will work out in the end - it may just be a process getting there.... I will be thinking of you..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ron, my father had this and it wasn't caught in time. I won't go into the details. So now I am checked for it every year!

    So while you probably can wait until October, please take action on this (I'm sure that you will.) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know it can be a "hard pill to swallow" I remember the first time I heard the words "Congestive Heart Failure" and when the Cardiologist said "without this AVR surgery you have a couple of months" then " without the ICD your heart could stop at anytime and not restart." I thought jesus I am not even 50. On the 5 year anniversary of my AVR this came to mind. It was the moment the Cardiac Surgeon I had met only thirty minutes before telling me that my life had ebbed to a mere number of days if I did not have AVR surgery in the morning. While I waited to immediately go to the hospital wing noticing my fear and shock an elderly woman whose appointment was after mine told me “Baby, it’s all right. Last time I checked none of us get out of here alive.” It’s an obvious fact, of course, but we get so wrapped up in the idea that dying is something we can run from that we break out in a sweat if we even think it’s catching up to us. But, inevitably, it always does. There’s nothing we can do about that. From that moment since I have grown to appreciate that outlook and realize that it’s foolish to worry about dying when there’s so much living still to do. Some people are blessed with an abundance of years and others find that life–in the real, not figurative sense–is short. But I don’t care how much time I have, it’s up to me to live that life well and with purpose whether it is a mere days, weeks, months or years. From your writings Ron you are a strong willed, one of the "good guys" you will be fine !

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3rdnlong,
    Like you I now have an even more appreciation of every day of my life now that I know that I may not be immortal (I was sort of hoping that I was.) I don't fear death or what awaits me which I believe is nothing. I don't think there is a hereafter but if there is I know I will be reunited with my loved ones. I don't nor have I ever believed in "man made religion". I believe in my own spirituality, not someone else's view of what I should be or do. If I have any regrets at all it is that I haven't been able to finish everything that I want to finish. To me once I'm gone, it's just like a sleep that I never awake from In the meantime, I make every day count. I take nothing for granted.

    ReplyDelete