Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to Normal

Butterfly activity was very busy in my backyard today.  Where did they hide during the hurricane?

During the darkest hours during Hurricane Irene's onslaught of our Delaware coast home, one of my Facebook friends sent me a message "Don't worry Ron, the sun will be out tomorrow."  


With thoughts of the roof of our house being ripped off by a random tornado or just the simple inconvenience of losing power for hours or days, that message was such a comfort.

Well, I am very happy to say that we made it through Irene with little more damage than some beaten down impatiens plants and a torn tree limb or two.  I don't mean to minimize the real damage that was done here, only a few miles away where a house was completely destroyed and fifteen damaged by that random tornado. Aren't those random tornadoes the worst?  I say if you're going to have a tornado let's have one that is planned.  I mean, REALLY.  But I digress.

That simple statement "Don't worry Ron, the sun will be out tomorrow", put the dire situation of the moment into perspective.  My way of going into any situation that I know I have no control is with the mindset of "Let me just GET THROUGH THIS" and hope for the best".  Yes, prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

We got the best out of this situation.  I pay no attention to those who are now criticizing the TV coverage and government officials for over hyping the threat of Hurricane Irene.  I think the local, state and Federal officials were exactly right in their warnings and the steps they took too prepare the populace for the worst. Sure, most of the TV mob are drama queens.  So what?  That's the business they're in.  The best quote I heard yesterday was from New Jersey Chris Christie.  He had just heard that there were still people on the beach on the Jersey Shore sunning and surfing.  I quote Governor Christie:



I may have to turn in my Bleeding Heart Ultra Liberal card but I like this man!




4 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly7:01 PM

    it was back to work for me today; everything's ok; all my co-workers survived.

    we are very fortunate indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad it was not horrible for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris Christie is the one of the worst Governors we've ever had here in New Jersey. Everybody here hates him but my question is who the hell voted for him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan,
    I wouldn't want Chris Christie or anyone like him for president. I do appreciate his straight talk. I wish Obama would talk like that instead of always trying to compromise. The Republicans sense weakness and will always try to roll him. No one is going to "roll" Christ Christie.

    ReplyDelete