Sunday, August 07, 2011

An Abundance of Tomatoes

Our tomato crop (before distribution to the neighbors)

Early this spring I brought two six packs of very small tomatoes plants.  I think they cost $1.25 each.  One six pack had cherry tomatoes, the other six pack had regular sized potatoes.  Don't ask me what kind of tomatoes they are.  I only know "big and small tomatoes."  I planted these tomato seedlings wherever I could fit them into little nooks and crannies in my backyard flower beds.  Now they are coming on STRONG!  We're being buried in tomatoes!

Bill and I both love fresh tomatoes.  I make a fresh tomato thyme soup; skin, seeds and all (I throw nothing out). I also make fresh tomato salsa.  I don't like the soupy salsa that restaurants usually serve.  To me fresh salsa is made with chopped red onion, diced cherry tomatoes and a "touch" of jalapeño pepper.  Oh it is SO GOOD.  No salt, no cilantro; just fresh tomatoes and onion and a kick of jalapeño pepper.

Bill likes his tomatoes raw.  He quarters them and puts them in his cereal bowl with a dollop (or two) of mayo.  That's his breakfast, lunch and dinner during the season.  In fact, he's eating some now.

Today we reached the point where we can't keep up with our backyard tomato harvest.  Today we start giving away tomatoes.  Yes, we are those folks who unload their overabundance of garden produce on their neighbors.

I even called our former neighbor Alan, who has since moved to the pricey environs of the houses along Rehoboth Bay and arranged to dropped in visit him at 10 this morning ostensibly to see his new digs but we're BRING ALONG THE TOMATOES!  Truth be told, I did call him earlier this morning and ask him if he and his wife would like some tomatoes and he said he loved them.

I've called my other neighbors but no one else has answered their phones.  Maybe they know what I'm calling about.  Or maybe it's just too early in the morning.

Thus, yet another benefit of living in our new home here in southern Delaware, we can actually grow our own tomatoes.  We tried that at our home in Pennsylvania but the deer always ate the tomato plants before the blossoms even fell off.

Now to look up that new tomato sauce recipe.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful!
    The word verification is "rering".
    Maybe it is what you should do. Rering your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadege,

    We just got back from visiting our former neighbors. They LOVED the tomatoes! They're going to use them to make an English Breakfast. They are originally form Liverpool, England. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good crop Farmer Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne marie in philly4:33 PM

    my spouse planted 3 tomatoes and 2 peppers. the peppers are doing better than the tomatoes; the deer and groundhogs have gotten to the tomatoes. ah well...

    word is "crinca" - the sound out grass makes due to no rain; it's pretty crunchy out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie,
    We don't have the deer problem here (thank goodness) but my pepper plants don't do well. I don't know what it is, maybe the soil or the balance of the temperatures. I love green and red peppers. I would like to grow them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will,

    I am a farmer at heart. It is in my genes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to eat them raw too although I know that it's better to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tai,

    I like tomatoes raw in salsa and on hamburgers but I also love cooked tomatoes. I love tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    Hmm, as I left for work on Saturday (yes, believe it or not, I worked this past Saturday) I found a bag of tomatoes hanging from the front door knob. I assumed they were from my friend, Ron, our neighbor two doors down the street who usually gifts us with abundances from his garden, but now I wonder...could they have come from another Ron?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete