Saturday, June 18, 2011

Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C.

Me guess where? (and it's not Grant's Tomb)

Yep, that's me with the well known giant phallic symbol of Washington D.C. known as the Washington Monument.  I asked my friend Bob C. to take my picture to "prove" I was there today.  You know how it is with us tourists, we gotta have that picture for the grandchildren to tell them "I was there.!"  But hey, I don't have any grandchildren.  In fact, I don't have any children.  Oh well, I'll post it here on my blog for my blogger friends (that's you!) to show you all where I was today.

Boarding the bus this morning at Delaware Tech in Georgetown

My friend Bob C. and I left early this morning on the Adult Plus bus from the Georgetown campus of Sussex Tech.  They almost called the trip off until I called yesterday to confirm the trip.  When I told them I had a friend who wanted to also attend, they said he "tipped the balance."  Hey, that's the first time that's happened.  Nice to know one has an impact.

"The Castle" at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.

This trip was to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.  The last time I visited the Smithsonian was the first summer Bill and I were together.  That would be in 1965.  Wow, a lot has changed since then.  I wish Bill was with us.  He preferred to stay at home.  He doesn't like these senior citizen bus trips.  Me?  I don't care.  The bus was big, comfortable and air conditioned and someone else was driving.  I love it!

Our "Leave the driving to us" bus

We saw a lot today including Julia Child's original kitchen from her PBS show.  It was all so interesting.  I love this kind of stuff.

Julia Child's TV kitchen on PBS

Something else that made me feel good today.  Even thought there were a lot more security measures, it did my heart good to see so many of my fellow American citizens and, no doubt, a few foreigners also roaming around "America's Museum' today learning about the history of our country and mankind.  One day is not enough.

Just can't do it all in one day

14 comments:

  1. Alas, no, it needs several days or maybe several trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Washington DC is one of my favorite places to visit. I've been there several times. Maybe I'll do a Post about it. Haven't posted much lately. See you Tuesday.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, it's still there, then? (Monument) And to think that I was up there once, to the very top - in 1970 (my [so far] only visit to U.S.A.), when so many bloggers were not even yet a twinkle in their fathers' eyes. Tempus fugit, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faabulous! One of these days we'll get down there (preferably not in the Summer though!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,
    We hardly scratched the surface. I would like to go back and spend several days visiting all the part os the Smithsonian in cooler weather and when the kids are back in school. There were lots of kiddies there yesterday. Not too bad though considering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt,

    Yes, we had a very good time. I would rather visit Washington than Disney World. Much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry,

    I've actually only visited Washingtgon a couple of times. Once when I was in the service during the Sixties and once when Blll and I took a trip there also in the Sixties. Yesterday was very enjoyable. I won't wait fifty years this time until I make a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiger,

    Washington was hot and humid yesterday but we spent most of our time inside where it was air conditioned. I think a fall visit is in order to cover what we missed yesterday. So much to see, so little time. Best part about it was the whole thing was free!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ray,

    My friend (and fellow traveler) Bob and I were talking about how we both raced up the Washington Monument in our younger days. Yesterday I had trouble climbing the stairs to the third floor of the American Museum of Natural History!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ken and lived in DC for four years in the early 80's. It's got good memories for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love DC. Would love to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Walt,

    In the early 60's, I was stationed only half a hour away at Ft. Meade. Me and my buddies often visited D.C. on the weekends. D. C. is a great city to walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nadege,

    D..C. is one of my favorite cities along with Philadelphia and San Francisco. I always feel at home in these cities.

    ReplyDelete