Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice


Today is Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year.  Below is the definition that I glommed off of Huff Post.


Today, June 21, is the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, which means it's the longest day of the year in 2011.
According to USA Today, the summer solstice occurs when the sun is the farthest north in the sky, directly above the Tropic of Cancer. The exact moment of the solstice today will occur at 1:16 p.m. ET.
While some consider the summer solstice as the beginning of summer, many actually regard it as midsummer, though the definition varies between different regions and cultures. In the Southern Hemisphere, today actually marks the 2011 winter solstice. These seasons will again be flipped between the hemispheres on December 22, when the second solstice of the year occurs (winter for Northern Hemisphere, and summer for Southern Hemisphere).
I love summertime.  It is my favorite time of the year.  Summer reminds me of the days when I went to grade school in the small Pennsylvania town of Downingtown.  Summer meant the end of stifling school classrooms and the beginning of long, warm days of play and adventure with my friends on Washington Avenue.  I will always remember summer that way.

When I was young I thought each summer day was longer until daylight abruptly changed with the leaves turning color and the chill winds slowly descending upon us.  Now that I'm older I know that early in summer with the Summer Solstice the days begin to get shorter.  This is always sad for me.  In not too many weeks my Purple Martins will have raised their last batch of baby Purple Martins and they too will be gone along with the warm winds and long days of summer.

But in the meantime, my friend Lar is on his way down from Claymont (he'll be here in about an hour) and we will have an adventure like we did when we were childhood friends lo these many years ago (the Fifties) on Washington Avenue in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.  

Today our adventure is getting our pictures taken at the Olde Time Photo Studio in Rehoboth Beach.  Yeah, yeah, I know these "Olde Time Photo places are tourist traps.  We're doing it anyway.

Hey, Larry's here!


7 comments:

  1. Don't think of the days getting shorter. Just enjoy every hour.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't lament Summer yet! Enjoy it. It's only halfway done astrologically speaking but as you know the seasons lag a few months behind. SO ENJOY!!!! Don't fret yet!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly7:10 PM

    I don't like the days getting shorter either. I need max sunshine to fuel my brain, to inspire me, to soothe the spirit.

    can't wait to see the pix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am Mark, I AM! Today I had a fabulous day. I wish you were here to join us at the Old Time Photo place. I know you would make a fabulous (did I just use "fabulous" twice?) cowboy! My friend Larry came down for a visit. We did the town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don,

    I am taking your advice! Thanks for the tour today. You're an excellent host! Larry really enjoyed himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too like summer; for me it has two ages - 'youthful summer' of post-memorial day to ~ July 4th. "mature summer goes to mid August, and then there is late summer, with its smell of fall and cricket serenade.

    Ah summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,

    I live for the summer. I thrive in the warmth and light.

    ReplyDelete