Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Strawberry Pie

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a nearby farm that grew fresh strawberries for the picking.  I love fresh strawberries.  They have such a delicate, sweet flavor that those "Frankenstein" store strawberries don't have.  Alas, I had become so used to those cardboard, store bought strawberries that I had almost forgotten what real strawberries tasted like.

Well, I got myself down to the farm very early in the morning, before the oppressive heat and humidity of the day descended upon the land like a big, fat, warm sweaty,  hand.  I picked a total of 64 quarts of strawberries.  Most of the strawberries I froze.  I will enjoy those strawberries in the depth of winter when even the faux strawberries aren't even available in the local supermarket.

Strawberry Pie

I had picked so many strawberries that I decided that I could part with a few and make a fresh strawberry pie.  This recipe is from the wife of my former boss and good friend Bill P.  Her name is Marie P.  I'm embarrassed to say that even though Bill gave me this recipe lo these thirty of so years ago (where does the time fly?) I'm just now trying it.

The wait was worth it!  The verdict is in....delicious!  The only caveat, eat the pie within a day.  If you leave the pie longer than that the water starts to separate from the strawberries and you have a soggy mess on your hands.  The crispness of the pre-baked pie shell is but a memory.  The taste is the same, sweet and spring-timey but the presentation has deteriorated.

Enjoy!

Strawberry Pie                    


1 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 quart fresh strawberries (and I mean FRESH - none of that store bought fake strawberries)



  • Mix sugar and corn starch then cold water, butter and vanilla.  Boil until thick.
  • COOL.  Have baked pie shell ready.  
  • Fold 1 quart fresh strawberries into sauce.
  • Pour into baked pie shell.
  • Top with whipped cream if desired.
  • Feed your face and delight in one of the purest pleasure in life - a good, fresh dessert.
Strawberries ready for freezing

More strawberries for freezing


Strawberry shortcake (I couldn't resist)

5 comments:

  1. I love to cook but don't like most of what I make. I love desserts but don't enjoy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,
    I love to cook and enjoy my cooking best. I also love to bake. I can't bake in the summertime though because I don't want to heat up the house. I do make the best desserts though, and in the summertime I make no-bake desserts. I've been cooking since I was about five years old when I used to stand on a chair and help my Mother make Christmas cookies. Both of my straight brothers like to cook too (and are good). My dad also like to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt,
    The strawberry pie was delicious. A friend made fresh peach pie last night (darn, I didn't think to take a picture) that was scrumptious. Nothing like the taste of fresh fruit in a pie, be it strawberries or peaches or any other fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:40 PM

    Thanks for the information. A little boy in Camden has never tried pie and asked me to bring one for him. I have never made one and you were the first one I saw.

    Hope you and Ron continue to be happy newlyweds.

    ReplyDelete