Monday, June 13, 2011

Beautiful Monday

Clematis on the fence around our transformer (hides the ugly transformer)
When I post a negative or sad post I like to counter it with a positive post.  That is what I am doing now.  This day, this Monday is absolutely beautiful.  I just got back from my walk in the development behind where I live.  The temperatures were mild and the breeze was gentle.  As the sun warmed my body and as I listened to the various specious of birds go about their daily activity I am reminded of how fortunate I am to be where I am today.

I am healthy, I have my house paid off, I live in a beautiful neighborhood, I have wonderful neighbors.  I live with someone for whom I love and he loves me in return without question or recrimination.  Perhaps the only thing that I am missing is an animal friend like a cat or a dog (Pomeranian).

This morning I had planned to drive down to Rehoboth Beach and pay the outrageous parking fees in order to visit Odeysea to buy my friend Dr. Spo a thank you gift for the beautiful shirt he made for me.  I fear that I offended him because I posted a short video saying the pocket was on the wrong side of the shirt.  I was teasing him but apparently he took it seriously.  Dr. Spo, you don't know me.  I'M A BIG TEASE  (an attribute that I inherited from my father).

I also planned to stop by my friend The Cajun and drop off a National Geographic magazine article about New Orleans.  He works as a host at a popular Mexican eatery on the main drag in Rehoboth.  I've been having a hard time catching up with him; the days I stop by have been his days off.

My plans to visit Rehoboth were dashed though because I called another friend to ask him if he and his friend would like to go with me to have an Olde Time Photo taken of us dressed as 19th century desperadoes.  Sadly, he wasn't up to it.  He didn't think his friend was either.  I'm finding this is a common occurrence with my friends now, who are the same age or older than I am.  They're not up to too much physical activity, especially walking.  I would ask my longtime good friend Bob Mc. but he is too far gone in his dementia and Parkinson's ailments to even suggest going out.  Bill doesn't want to go, he hates crowds and doesn't like to do a lot of walking anyway.  I think I have to find me some younger friends.  What do you think?  I may be 69 years old but I'm still getting around very well thank you.  I haven't succumbed to the lures of Old Age yet and I hope I never do.

Thus this morning I worked out in the back yard.  I checked the bluebird house.  Swallows have taken up residence and now have three cream white eggs in the house were just a few weeks ago there were five blue eggs.  The bluebirds won't be raising a second batch in that house this year like they have in years past.  I'm fine with the swallows raising a batch of new swallows in the bluebird house.

Three swallow eggs this morning - one more to go!


Well, that's about it for now.  I've included a video of some relaxing music below (my new "thing") in case anyone would like to listen to it.  I've been in a mellow mood the past week or so.  Maybe "mellow" is the wrong word.  Maybe a better description of my mood would be "Go with the flow."  I've decided to not get upset or concerned over current events, or my social life any more.  "Whatever it is, is."  I'm tired of all the strum and dang.  Really tired.

I'm concentrating on peace, beauty and what gives me serenity.  My backyard does that for me as well as my walks.  Riding my car in heavy traffic and trying to please everyone else does not.



Click on the picture to play the music (Sheila)

Peace.

13 comments:

  1. Get those Bluebirds back. Their eggs were prettier!
    And maybe it's not that you're friends are older, maybe they are just uptight like me and don't want to do those things. Believe me, I'm no fun at all.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Believe me, ALL of my friends my age or older are overweight and out of shape and don' want to do anything other than eat out again. NO ONE wants to take a walk on the boardwalk. That's only me. And take pictures? They don't know how. Don't want to. Or else their arms shake from Parkinson's. I have a bunch of old farts for friends, believe me. I'm the only young one. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, why aren't you getting that pomeranian?
    One of my favorite music in the "smooth jazz" category is
    Acoustic Alchemy "missing your touch"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg074d95YCE&feature=related
    The islands are at first from the big island of Hawaii then Moorea, Bora-Bora and others in Polynesia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadege,

    We've had five Pomeranians. When the last one died, Bill almost died too. He underwent two years of psychotherapy at the VA. He's still not over the loss even though it's been over ten years now. At his age (82) he just can't take another loss. I will get a Pomeranian (or two) if I survive him. No more men.
    It's just me and the Poms and maybe a cat or two. We only got the Poms because Bill doesn't like cats and he thought a Pom was close. Of course I fell in love with our Pomeranians. I look forward to the day when I can bond with one of those "little people" again.

    Thank you for your comment. I always enjoy hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this notion, balancing something sat with something peaceful and good. It keeps the world in balance

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clemantis are beautiful. I was looking at some today at the nursery wondering how well they would do at my front porch. I think i'll pick them up tomorrow just to try them out.

    Find yourself a few younger friends that enjoy the outdoorsy things you enjoy. You need that interaction and activity to keep you as young as you are feeling. It's when you stop the getting up and going when you lose your ability to get up and go!

    OK no joke my word verification is....... Quere Why yes, I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics! I also love the header pic. I hear retirement is wonderful. Lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping things in balance is the key Dr. Spo to a happy and contented life. Sometimes it's not easy but one must always strive for that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Betty",

    Remember with clematis: cool roots and plenty of sun for the blossoms. Your clematis will thrive under those conditions. They will never let you down.

    I will take your advice to heart to have younger friends (in their late 40's and 50's). Unfortunately I have found myself in a corner with friends who are in their 70's and 80's. They can't keep up with me. I'm not slowing down (at least not yet). All they want to do is complain about "too much walking" and "not up to it." I'm not ready to die yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin Delight,

    Retirement IS wonderful. It is the freedom to do as you please. This is what we work all our lives for. For a few lucky ducks like me, we get a chance to enjoy retirement while in still relatively good health. I make every day count.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ron

    I take umbrage with this: "ALL of my friends my age or older are overweight and out of shape and don' want to do anything other than eat out again." You know I love walking, it's just distance that comes between us sharing some trails.

    Anyway, I'm waiting to see my schedules at work the next week and maybe then Lo and I can drive down and go with you to that photo shop. I'll reply to your email today.

    "I have a bunch of old farts for friends, believe me. I'm the only young one. Sad but true." Indeed!! Someday you have to join me on some of the trails I regularly walk. :)

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lar,

    You were right to take umbrage. Again, I made too sweeping of a remark. I should have said MOST of my old fart friends don't (or can't) walk. You are the exception. I have no other friends who like to walk. NONE. NADA. ZERO. NO ONE. You are the exception my friend. You always have been. I look forward to your visit next week to go to Old Time Photo. We can also walk on the boardwalk which is exhilarating. You will love it! Can you come down next Monday or Tuesday for the visit to Olde Time Photo? We'll do lunch also.

    ReplyDelete