Sunday, June 12, 2011

Aaron Tippin

Aaron Tippin


Yesterday my friend Don V. suggested that I attend the 8th Annual Summer Bash in Milton, Delaware.  I've heard of these 'summer bashes', but never attended one before.  I'm a Curious George and I always like to try something AT LEAST ONCE so I thought "why not?"  The day was hot and humid and I've heard in years past these 'summer bashes" were also HOT in more ways than one.  So, normally where I would take a nap on a hot and humid Saturday afternoon in the summer, I instead plunked down a $35.00 donation to attend this event which is a combination of a birthday party for a local gay activist and raising money for the Delaware Food Bank.  Another item that piqued my interest was the country music star Aaron Tippin.

I didn't know anything about Aaron Tippin other than our last names are similar (mine is "Tipton" and we're both from hillbilly roots; his name may very well be an alliteration of my family last name that was misspelled somewhere along the way in the misty history of those hillbilly mountains and hollers of yesteryear).


What I did know about Aaron was the picture that was posted on Facebook advertising the Summer Bash. Take a look.  Wow.  Uh huh.  Yes indeedy.  Nice biceps if I do say so myself.

Well folks, I wasn't disappointed.  Yes, the crowds were there.  Yes, the air has warm and heavy with humidity.  Yes, the parking was a bitch.  But it was all worth it because Aaron was great!  This man is a good singer and an entertainer par excellence.  I've never attended a rock concert in my life.  In fact, I've never attended any concert by a music star in my life.  The only concerts I've ever attended in my life were the ones I participated in when I was in high school (I was a member of my high school band) and one memorable visit in 1966 to the Philadelphia Academy of Music to see Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. I don't count that visit because my seat was so far up in the balcony all I could see were dots on the stage.  I could say I was there but I really didn't see anything.

Yesterday I would have liked to have gotten closer to Mr. Tippin but alas it was not to be.  I did get a video at closer range but it came out dark because of the lighting.  However, I did experience Aaron's mellifluous voice and his very entertaining personality.  Plus he has some kind of biceps.  Man oh man.  Who wants to see the likes of Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler after seeing a hunk (and I mean HUNK) like this.  Obviously a lady in the audience thought so too.  Listen to this short video I posted of Aaron yodeling.  Right in the middle Aaron take a short pause to bring the song to an end and the lady's beer takes over with a yell. Funny stuff but it all ended well.  Mr. Tippin, you are some showman.


5 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly5:22 PM

    yeah, he MIGHT be good lookin', but he is a rabid right-winger and hater and religious nutjob.

    approach with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would yodel too !

    Them Yodel Yellers - M. Wiliiams

    How about Them Yodel Yellers,
    Ain't they pierce?
    Up in them mountains,
    Hollerin' so fierce.
    Shoutin' them "Hoo - Ha's,"
    Screamin' them "Yea's,"
    Singin' them yodel,
    Leedle - lay - tee - ay's.
    Look at Them Yodel Yellers,
    Ain't they vogue?
    Hittin' them high notes,
    Yellin' that yode.
    Them golden-throated Yodel Yellers,
    Ain't they loud?
    Rollin' they yodelin',
    Up in them clouds.
    How to be a Yodel Yeller?
    Here's the sum and total.
    Get upon a mountain,
    Beller out a yodel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie,
    I didn't know what political persuasion Mr. Tippin was but it didn't take too long to figure it out once he started to introduce some of his "hits." Oh yes, he is a rabid political right winger. Ironically, he was technically at the event yesterday to celebrate the birthday of Corey Marshall-Steele, who is Delaware governor Markel's political aide for the gay community. Aaron had finished with his show when Corey had to remind him to sing "happy birthday" to him. I got the feeling that Mr. Tippin sang in a mocking way. I wonder if he saw Nick and Rick, our local gay body builders, holding hands? Yes, yesterday was interesting. I'm glad I went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Spo,

    I HOPE you know I was kidding about the placement of the shirt pocket. I WAS KIDDING!!!!! The pocket is where it is supposed to be. I didn't get a response from my kidding so I got concerned that you were offended. I hope I didn't offend you because that is the last thing I would want to do to you. Thank you very much for making this beautiful shirt for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you finally got to experience a BASH!! :-) It was nice running into you there.

    ReplyDelete