Monday, December 06, 2010

Six Pack Abs



Spo, one of my favorite bloggers posted today about his wish to have a flat stomach and posses six pack abs.


The Jersey Shore star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino has made the seemingly unattainable "six pack abs" the goal of many men.  Who wouldn't want a Six Pack? Heck, most men would just settle for a flat stomach.  


My friend Spo expressed that he would probably never posses a flat stomach.  Well, I'm here to tell my friend Spo and every other man who would like to have a flat stomach that it is indeed possible.  


I have always had a flat stomach.  Back in the Seventies and Eighties, when I used to lift weights.  I even developed the elusive six pack abs.  See below photo of me taken in Provincetown in 1974:

Me on Herring Cove Beach, Provincetown, Mass. 1974

Friends, it is not impossible to have a flat stomach.  If I can do it, anyone can.  Here are a few things to remember if you want to posses a flat stomach:

  • Walk a lot
  • Do not drink beer
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not drink liquor
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not eat ice cream
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not eat bread
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not drink whole milk (2% or less)
  • Walk a lot
  • Use sugar in moderation
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not drink coffee
  • Walk a lot
  • Do not eat candy

Follow these rules and you WILL have a flat stomach.  Seriously folks, it is that easy.

As proof, I took these pictures of my stomach this morning.  I am now 69 years old.  I have followed the above rules all my life.  While I don't have the defined six pack abs now (I no longer lift weights), I still have a flat stomach.  I'm not bragging, just stating a fact.  Well, maybe I am bragging. 


I wouldn't be truthful if I didn't say that the years have taken their toll. While I still have the same weight as I did when I graduated from high school, 160 pounds, my waist has increased from 31 inches to 32 inches.  My weight has shifted.  Gravity is taking its toll.  

One thing I would emphasize though is that one has to be constantly vigilant about eating habits and exercise.  If I wrote a weight loss book, it would only contain four words:

EAT LESS
MOVE MORE

So there you go friends and readers of this blog, I have just supplied you with the ONLY information you need to have a flat stomach.  

Why not six pack abs?  At my age, it isn't worth the effort because it does take a lot of work.  Lifting weights defines your stomach muscles.  If you're on the prowl and/or going to the beach, it would be worth the effort.  But me?  I'm an old man now.  I am no longer on the prowl and I don't go to the beach.  Even if I did posses six pack abs, no one would see them except me unless I walked around without my shirt off, which I don't.  

However, I will keep my flat stomach.  If for nothing else than my own self esteem.  Plus it doesn't feel too bad either when I attend my high school class reunions.  

Go for it guys!








4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration!
    May I come and rub your flat belly for good luck?

    Alas, I don't drink coffee or eat bread; I feel like a sinking ship with no freight to throw overboard.
    I am walking a great deal more - and portion control.
    We'll see how it goes by mid-February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spo,
    You will find with walking you will steadily lose weight. Just stay with your routine. Losing weight doesn't happen overnight but if you walk daily, you will notice in a few month's time that your waist line will firm up. To get six pack abs you have to lift weights. However, just by walking, you will get a flat stomach and have the basis for six pack abs. Good luck.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:12 AM

    Ron, now that we have seen your so called six pack abs (not bad for 69) what is next? Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,
    Not a six pack at my age but no beer belly either. Not bad for 69. :)

    ReplyDelete