Monday, December 20, 2010

Ron's Oasis

Ron's Oasis


Pictured is my oasis.  This is where I go to get away from the world.  My "oasis" is my bedroom.


This is where I:

  • Nap
  • Sleep
  • Read
  • Watch movies
  • Read
I have a home office which was a bedroom.  That is where I:
  • Pay bills
  • Blog postings
  • E-mails
  • Internet searches
  • Political activity
  • Genealogy research
My oasis has four big windows.  During the cold winds of winter, on a sunny day the sun warms my oasis to a toasty 80 degrees plus.  Solar warmth is so much more comfortable than heat caused by electric, gas or a wood burning fire.  On really sunny days the warmth in my oasis will last several hours into the night.  There is nothing to match a sun warmed room after darkness falls in the early winter evenings.  To me that is heaven.

I have worked many long years at many jobs, some of which I didn't like too much(and that's an understatement).  I have lived in places where I had little or no privacy.  I have endured these hardships.  Now that I am in my "leisure years," I am so thankful that I have an oasis (which is paid for by the way, mortgage is gone) where I can retreat to at the end of the day.

A fabulous mansion with all the latest expensive accouterments is not for me.  I am perfectly happy with my wonderful, comfy and secure oasis just steps from my kitchen.  I even have my own spa bathroom (not pictured).

When I got up this morning and saw the morning sun streaming through my windows, I was reminded of just how very fortunate I am to be where I am today.  I take nothing for granted.

Nothing was given to me and I've had to work hard to where I am today but I am fortunate that I am still have my physical and mental health that I can luxuriate in my oasis every day.  

And when the end comes for me, this is where I plan to make my exit.



8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    My oasis isn't so comfy. Mine is getting out there in those woods and walking.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice oasis, and I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like a cozies small area. I tend to write in blog in the bedroom as well; dark and to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    You just threw a guilt trip on me. I too should be out there walking! I did go out yesterday with the cold wind in my face. Painful. I'll "man up" and do it again today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cubby,
    For years I've been looking for a quilt that was perfect for me. I finally found "my quilt" last year in the most unexpected place. I was cleaning out my Mother's storage room (which used to be my brothers' bedroom). Viola! There it was and I didn't even have to pay for it. Plus, it had the added value of coming from my Mom. Perfect. That quilt completed my oasis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spo,
    "Dark and to myself".....that is me too. My "office" is a converted small bedroom. I had originally planned to use the dining room for my office but Significant Other suggested this small bedroom (where I am now.) It was perfect. "Dark and to myself"......in fact I just this minute chased Significant Other out when he asked me if I saw the lunar eclipse last night. I'm in my blogging mode now and I AM NOT TO BE BOTHERED.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiny house. Four kids. I have no such Oasis. Especially in Winter when they are all inside. It's okay though, I asked for all of it. And one day when they are all moved out, I'll feel like my tiny house is a Mansion. But then I'll probably be so lonely, I want them all back.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,
    If I didn't have my oasis I would probably go nuts. All my life I wanted my own space. I grew up with two brothers and we had to not only share the same bedroom but the same bed until I was 16 years old. In my house now Bill has his own living area (the finished basement) and I have my own. I could never share my space with anyone. I am f--cked up.

    ReplyDelete