Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Rain Day

My rain slicked deck this morning




Rain day today!


I love the sun.  I love sunny days.  But occasionally we get a rainy day like today.  I love rain days too!


If I lived in Seattle or the Great Northwest, where it rains most of the time and the sunny day is a rare occurrence, maybe I wouldn't feel this way about rainy days.  


If I lived in Londan, England where gray skies, fog and rain are the norm perhaps I wouldn't be so fond of rainy days either.  But I don't live where the weather is rainy most of the time.  I live on the eastern coast of the Delmarva peninsula where we have a lot of sunny, dry days.  Thus, when we get a rainy day like today I welcome it.


Today I was scheduled for an appointment with my dermatologist in Pennsylvania.  I canceled the appointment yesterday because I don't like to travel in the rain.  I don't like to travel at night or in the rain.......or in the snow. But I do like to hang out here in my cozy nest that is my home.


This is my schedule for today:

  • Update my Shutterfly pictures (dates and descriptions) for reproduction of prints for Christmas gifts
  • Update my blog (which I am doing now)
  • Vacuum the whole first floor (no excuse now not to vacuum)
  • Put Christmas candles in the front windows of the house to complete my Christmas decorations
  • Prepare a lunch of Frito Lay Blazing Buffalo chips and turkey salad sandwich
  • After lunch lie down in my bed and read a bit ("Hollywood Beauty - Hedy Lamarr) 
  • Drift off to sleep for my afternoon nap
  • Get up about 4 pm and check my e-mail and the latest news
  • Watch my previously recorded "Judge Judy" episodes
  • Prepare a dinner of Caesar Salad, oven fry potatoes (with skins) and chicken pot pie
  • Watch MSNBC evening lineup shows of: Dylan Rattigan, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, and Lawrence O'Donnell 
  • Bedtime 

That is my schedule for today.  Tomorrow it will be different because I go to work at the hotel.  Each day is different.  But that is one thing I love about being retired.  I can do whatever I want to do.  


I often think of all those years (since 1954) that I had to go to school, three years in the Army, and then over 40 years on the corporate hamster wheel.  All those days I HAD TO get up early to catch the train to go to work in Philadelphia at the bank. 


I looked forward to the day that my life would be my own.


I looked forward to the day when I could sleep as late as I wanted to.


I looked forward to the day when my life was my own.


I looked forward to the day when I have the freedom that I have now.


I love it!

4 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yeah, but I didn't have all that freedom today. I had to work at the mall 14 miles away and it was windy and pouring rain when I went out. It was a mess on I-95, hard to see and then when I got to the I295 split the pouring rain became a deluge. Brake lights went on in every lane as visibility really disappeared. Then it was duck and dodge for a while. I ended up behind two trucks adding to the mess by spewing the road spray up over me the rest of the way. Meanwhile, beside the rain, the wind kept trying to blow me off the road. Just lovely.

    It was warm this morning, though, 60 degrees when I set out. Different when I left work to come home. I walked out of the building in my light jacket and was hit by a blast of cold. The wind was still packing a wallop, but this time the air had grown decidedly colder.

    Oh well, the district manager emailed it was snowing where he was, which I think was West Virginia.

    Delightful.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,
    I sympathize with you going to work in this mess today. The rain is the reason I didn't keep my appointment with my dermatologist in Downingtown today. No way was I going to drive in this rain and roadspray all the way up to Pennsylvania. I can't see where I'm going. I was scheduled to go to work today but I'm glad I took off the day for my appointment with my dermatologist even though I didn't keep the appointment.
    I'm glad I don't have as far to commute to work as you do. I only have to go down a short stretch of Rt. 1 until I turn on New Road which has virtually no traffic. The only time I have trouble with Rt. 1 is on Saturday afternoons in the summer when I go to work at 3 pm. Otherwise it is smooth sailing for me going to and from work. I especially want to minimize my opportunity for getting into an automobile accident. Can you quit your job and still reasonably keep your current level of comfortable retirement living?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    No, I can't. This has been a bad two years. My hours were cut so low at the old job my income there went down 60%. The new job has not come up to the hours promised, so I am still hurting from that. plus the IRs hit me twice claiming I owed additional taxes, we had a lot of plumbing and electrical problems, failing appliances, etc.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Lar. As soon as the Republicans are successful in getting the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy extended those jobs will trickle right on down to us common folk. My hours are down too due to low hotel occupancy. I'm looking to having January and February off again this year.

    ReplyDelete