Friday, November 12, 2010

It's Always Something





As I sit here this morning waiting for my DirecTV service technician to arrive (between 8 am and 12 pm - guess when he's going to show up), I'm thinking that I rarely get a day in which I have absolutely nothing to do.  Somedays I would just like to coast for a few days with NOTHING PLANNED.


A few weeks ago I had to go round and round with Verizon to get a new wireless modem because I kept losing my Internet connection.  I finally got the new wireless modem (after they sent me the wrong one naturally) and my Internet connection works just fine now.


My newest problem is with my DirecTV DVR receiver in my bedroom.  Tuesday night after I returned from work I hear the receiver grinding away.  Last week the receiver self corrected itself by finding 896 hard drive errors after running SEVERAL hours.  Tuesday night I turn on the TV and the "self correction" was only 3% done and had already found 13,987 errors.  Oh fun times.  So I called DirecTV and jumped through their hoops until they finally agreed to send out a service technician today.  That is who I await now.


Doesn't it seem like everyday there is some kind of challenge to complete?  On Monday Bill and I drove to Dover and I had a satellite radio installed in my car.  That little ditty cost me $548 plus cents.  I already had the portable satellite radio but with my new Subaru I could have the satellite radio right in the dashboard.  In addition to the convenience, I thought this would be safer because I frequently had to look at the radio to see what music was playing.  I had to take my eyes off the road to look lower where I had my portable satellite radio sitting near the gear shift.  This wasn't safe and sooner or later I was going to have an accident.  So I talked myself into parting with the big bucks and have the satellite radio installed higher up. 


The installation took about two hours.  On the way home I noticed that there was no scroll on the satellite display.  WTF?  This was the main reason I had the radio installed higher up on my dashboard.  I called Dover Subaru.  They told me that the Forester model I had did not support the music scroll.  Oh wonderful.  I just assumed it did.  Oh well, at least I don't have to reach down to change stations now.  $548, that's more than a few lunches at La Quezalteca.


And yesterday I learned that Obama has signaled that he is going to extend the Bush Tax cuts for the rich.  I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in Mr. Bait and Switch.  Lies, lies, lies.  No leadership on DADT.  A health care bill that is fraud because it doesn't include a public option to control costs.  Prisoners are still in GITMO.  We're still fighting a war in Afghanistan.  Nothing is being done about repealing the DOMA law.  


Obama is in his White House bubble and has no concept that what this country needs now is leadership. Not caving into everything the Republicans demand.  Where is that "change you can believe in?"


Can you say "one term president?"  


I'm beyond disappointed with this president folks.  The Republicans scare the crap out of me.  The teabaggers are beyond belief.  I am still stunned that a babooned faced asswipe like Rand Paul was elected Senator.  Lester Maddox must be smiling down from Heaven (or looking up from Hell.)


Today the sun is out. The weather, while a bit chilly, will warm up later.  My arm and wrist is healing, albeit slowly.  I have a follow-up doctor's appointment on Monday.  Next Tuesday I have a trip planned to visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC.  Next Wednesday and Thursday I work at the hotel again.  Uh, Friday looks clear. How much do you want to bet something will turn up to take up that day too?  


It's always something.

2 comments:

  1. Ron,

    In never does. We just had the plumber in to unclod the kitchen drain. We did with out it for a week, which meant no doing dishes plus other inconvenience. It took him two hours to unclog it, the clog was pretty far down. I also had some problems with the cable programs not coming on, so I had to call and get that fixed.

    It gets very tiring.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,

    The DirecTV guy was here this morning from 8:30 to 12:30. I am worn out. He did get the reception fixed though. Now what's next? You're right, it is always something. I would like to have a month or so without any problems or doctor's appointments.

    ReplyDelete