Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Holocaust Museum

Nazi Propaganda Poster from the Holocaust Museum




Yesterday my friend Bob C. and I took a church sponsored trip to visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C.


The weather was appropriated gray, overcast day with slow, intermittent rain for such a solemn visit to this memorial of one of the worst episodes of man's inhumanity to man.


I thought I knew just about all there was to know about the holocaust.  After a day at the Holocaust Museum I have a new awareness of the true extent of evil of this dark period of human history.


One thing that impressed me mightily was how well done everything was done.   From the architecture of the building to the visual displays.  


Within five minutes of entering the building and seeing the first photographs and film, I was overwhelmed. 


My throat choked up and tears welled in my eyes.  


I can now see the need for the numerous benches and places to sit.  Sometimes you have to stop and just gather yourself before proceeding on.  


What really impressed me about the displays was how tastefully they were done.  I guess I expected a circus sideshow quality but there was none of that.  While many of the images (both photos and film) were quite graphic and nothing like you've ever seen before, they still somehow managed to maintain the dignity of those who were persecuted  


The most overwhelming of the tour for me was when I had to actually pass through one of the cattle cars that sometimes transported as many as one hundred of my fellow human beings to their ultimate doom.  


As I walk through those darkened walls I could sense the cries of desperation of those long gone souls screaming out to me.


I didn't think it could get any worse until I came upon some of the actual bunks that some of the concentration camp inmates slept on.  It was quite an  overpowering experience.  


One thing I do know for sure, I will have to go back.  


Lest we never forget. 


Our church group entering the Holocaust Museum yesterday



No comments:

Post a Comment