Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Happy Birthday


Ron and Mom 1941

Sixty-nine years ago today, at 9:30 a.m. Sunday morning, I entered this world.


Quite frankly, I'm surprised I'm still here this planet.


I've been in three serious auto accidents (1950, 1960 and 1963).  I escaped serious injury each time.


In 1959, I almost died from the negligence of my family doctor after I contacted a staph infection from a hernia operation.


In 1960, during Army basic training I accidentally set off a hand grenade.  I only suffered minor injuries.


From 1963 to 1980 I was assaulted several times because I was identified as a gay man.  At least five times in center city Philadelphia, once in Provincetown, Massachusetts and once in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.


I almost committed suicide in 1979.  I was in my car with the garage door closed and motor running.  I stopped when I realized how much my death would hurt my Mother.  As much pain as I was in at that time I could not put my Mother through the pain of a suicide of her first born.  I turned off the engine.


In 1980 I was almost choked to death by a homeless man.


All near brushes with death.


I survived.


I will be here for a little longer.


I'm happy that I am still here.


This is the best time of my life.


I'm older.  I'm not as pretty as I used to be.


I have more aches and pains.


I've lost many of my friends and family.


But I am still here.


I am very fortunate to have had the life I have lived.


The only sad thing about today is that this is the first time in my life my Mother will not wish me a happy birthday.


Earlier this week my brother John and his wife sent me a birthday card.


The card said:

"There's a corner of your heart reserved for someone special - the person you're so proud to call your brother."


There's a closeness that we share.
We don't discuss it,
 but it's there.
On your birthday,
hope you know
how much you mean,
how much I care.

Happy Birthday

"I know how much you miss Mom so I wanted to send you a card for her and us

John and Barb"


9 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Happy Birthday and many more. I'm very glad you turned off that car engine in 1979. I sent a card, but as usual too late to arrive on your birthday. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:35 AM

    Happy birthday Ron !! When we get to be our age every birthday is a celebration. Do something nice for yourself that would bring you great pleasure. Your Mom would want that for you. Even though she isn't here in person she is your special angel & still close to your heart.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON. Big hug to you, Mike and Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've certainly had life, haven't you. Nothing like being strangled by a Homeless man to set you straight, sorta speak.
    Have a great day and I hope that you can stick around long enough to wish me greetings on my 69th birthday.
    Happy Birthday, Friend.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark. By the way, the homeless man was gay. I knew him and let him use my apartment while my new home was being built. I told him he couldn't stay in my apartment any more and he didn't like it and we got into an argument. It ended with him trying to strangle me. This falls under the category of No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We wished you a happy birthday this morning in this comment section. Guess it didn't get entered, I probably hit the wrong key. So happy birthday again. Hope you had a great day. Hugs, Mike and Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Spo! I plan to make it the best year yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Hi Ron,

    I'm not sure what happened to the birthday message I sent you. Anyway, Happy Belated Birthday!
    I've been busy as a beaver too & it just hit me that the holidays are almost upon us. Just the thought of shopping has my mind in overdrive. I'm sure I'll get thru it one way or another.

    Have a great rest of the week! Oh btw.... nice birthday gift you bought yourself. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fran,

    Thank you for the birthday greetings.

    Good luck with your holiday activity. I'm working Thanksgiving and Christmas day. That is my holiday activity. I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete