Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday



Friday is almost gone and I did not spend one penny shopping.  


Very good Ron!


Oh I remember years past when I was out there in the thick of the throng of shoppers.  Not this year nor did I go out last year.  


Part of the reason is that I really don't have anyone to shop for.  Bill doesn't like to receive Christmas presents.  I don't give out any other presents other than to my neighbor Barb and my friend Bob.  I like to give them something personal that I created myself which is usually a picture calendar from photographs I've taken during the year.  


In the past I always shopped for my Mother.  Her birthday was on December 24th so I did double duty on the shopping for her.  Mom died this year so I won't even do shopping for her.  And I'll tell you, it's sort of hitting me harder than I thought.  This is the first year in my life that I'm not shopping for my Mom.  The first time in 69 years.  


The temperature was a tolerable 61 degrees so I dragged the outside Christmas lights from the attic.  I wanted to take advantage of this mild weather to put the outside lights up.  I hate putting Christmas lights up but they do look so good as I drive down Whitehall Drive to our home. 


I only got half the lights up though.  And, of course, one string is half out.  One light goes out and the whole block goes out.  I thought they stopped doing that.  Now I have to buy another whole string of lights.  Well, I got the white lights up and now I'm feeling a little Christmasy.


We had our friend Bob over for dinner tonight.  I usually make a new and fantastic dessert to try out on company but I got lazy today.  Probably because I spent so much time with those lights.  Bill was disappointed when I brought out the cranberry pecan cake I purchased a couple of days ago from Sam's Club.  Now I have major guilt.  I think this is the first time in my life I didn't make a fresh dessert when we had a sit down dinner for company.  I won't let that happen again.  I don't want to see that look on Bill's face again.  


I'm looking forward to having a few days off until I go back to work at the hotel.  Maybe I'll whip up that new dessert for Bill over the weekend.  We don't have to have company to have dessert. 


That pumpkin cheesecake recipe looked pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. putting up christmas lights always makes me cross, as they tangle so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my least favorite part of putting up Christmas lights Spo, untangling the mess. This year I was tempted to throw away the batch and buy all new ones. But I didn't. I didn't get everything untangled but I don't think anyone can tell once they're up. Lights are lights and they look great!

    ReplyDelete