Monday, November 22, 2010

Back on Line



I'm back on line folks and not a minute too soon.  So much to discuss.


Well, it turns out the problem with the Internet connection was inside.  My telephone cord went bad.  Just like that, it went bad.  I didn't touch a thing.  


Vicky, my Verizon service person (who I know quite well now from her numerous visits for my numerous service calls) checked the DSL speed coming in my house.  I have a direct line from outside the wall into my home office.  That speed was 7 MP.  At a loss at what to do now, we switched the telephone line inside that goes to the router.  Viola!  That worked!  


I am humbled.  I was wrong.  It wasn't Verizon's fault but my own negligence for having a bad telephone line.  Uh, and just how was I to know that.  Well, "things happen."  


So I'm back on line and now it's Catch Up Time.


I have a lot to write about the TSA and their Security Theater at the airport.  I will do that in a future blog posting.  I'll probably do that tomorrow after Bill and I return from Sam's Club in Dover.  This is our last shopping trip before the Christmas Deluge which begins Black Friday.  When all the Christmas shopping craziness starts we stay and home to keep out of everyone's way.  Nobody needs two doddering old men hindering their Christmas shopping experience.


Now it is time for me to watch "Dancing With the Stars".  Yes, I finally have local (aka network) TV!  I want to see what all the fuss is about Bristol Palin and if she really is that fantastic dancer the Palinites keep voting back week after week.  


Hey, I don't care if she wins.  Reality shows aren't really reality shows anyway.  They're nothing but popularity shows.  That's fine with me.  They're scripted just like any other TV show.  They're about as "real" as professional wrestling.  

2 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I don't know why you were humbled. I would be humbled if I called for service and a tech came out and found I didn't have my box plugged in or my cable was connected. If my cable was faulty, I wouldn't know until they tested it. I don't have testing equipment in my closet for all the devices about the place and I don't have extra cables to everything so I can switch cables to see if that is the trouble. I usually check my cables and lines for a loose connection, but if the cable is shot I won't know. Perhaps if I touch it and something goes odd I might suspect a bad cable.

    When I lost my phones during those blizzards earlier, a tech came and he quickly established something was wrong with the line. he traipsed about in three feet of snow and found an icicle had cut the line along the back of the house. It's there job. You pay a lot of money for these services, they need to make sure you get the service.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,

    You're right, I have no way of knowing if my telephone line went bad which is apparently what happened. She (the Verizon service tech) left me a new one. I switched the lines and it seems to work for now. I'm just glad it's working.

    ReplyDelete