Friday, October 01, 2010

A Tale of Two Movies

"Death at a Funeral" - American version




Last week I watched the movie "Death at a Funeral" with Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence.   I had high expectations for this movie because Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence are two of my favorite comedians.  It was one of the worse movies I've seen this year.


The problem wasn't with the stars.  The problem was with the writing and direction.  As is usually the case with American comedy movies, the writers feel that they have to telegraph the funny lines with a sledge hammer.  They don't know the meaning of subtleness.


Watching this movie, I felt like I was watching a cartoon produced for a five year old.  I was insulted.  I was bored.  I was angry that I wasted my time watching this dreck.


When I wrote the review on Netflix for the movie, I happened to read another review.  That review advised to watch the original English version of this movie.


That's what I did last night.  I watched "Death at a Funeral" that was made in 2007 in England with English actors.  What a difference!  Ironically many of the scenes were verbatim and much of the dialogue was the same.  However, the lines were delivered with a subtle, dry humor that most American actors and American made movies are incapable of producing.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching this English version of "Death at a Funeral" last night.  I had a lot of LOL moments.  Now that is what I call a funny movie.

"Death at a Funeral" - English version

2 comments:

  1. I agree, sorta. I saw the English version a couple of years ago and both Fred and I loved it. When I saw that there was an American remake, I decided not to see that version for fear that it would be just like you described.
    Thanks for confirming that for me.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    The American version of "Death at a Funeral" was God awful. It is amazing how some American movie makers can remake a movie and totally screw it up. Most of the dialogue and the scenes are the same but so much funnier in the English version. What really surprises me is that Martin Lawrence and Chris Rock are two very talented comedians that the makers of this movie succeeded in making unfunny.

    ReplyDelete