Monday, October 11, 2010

Ron the Old Fogey

Old Fogey at the beach


Yeah, I'll admit it....I'm an Old Fogey.  And I'm not ashamed to admit it either.


I consider myself a pretty "with-it" guy keeping up with the ever changing technology.  


I have a computer.


I have a cell phone.


I blog.  


I even take digital pictures.


But.......


I don't tweet.


I don't text.


I've been known to express disbelief to some of my former high school classmates and friends my age who brag they don't have a computer nor to they "need one."  My cousin Bud, rants on about he doesn't "need a computer."  He said he was finally talked into getting a cell phone only as insurance for when he is driving.  Well "Gee, welcome to the real word Bud!" I said.


I think these people are very foolish by not taking advantage of the newest technology.  But I must admit, ever since I saw Ashton ("Punked") Kuchter pushing tweeting ("how many million Tweet friends can I get?), that I seriously questioned do I need to tweet? Do I have to keep up with that smacked ass?


The answer is a resounding..............NO.


Texting.  Is that something I want to do with my cell phone?  I most teens do it. In fact, texting is rapidly become a serious cause of automobile accidents as teenage girls are texting their cell phones while driving. By the way what is it with girls and texting?  Is that a girlie thing?  Just asking.


By the way, I don't do the iPod thing either.


I even like Old Fogey music.


Just call me an Old Fogey.


Old Fogey (and proud of it too)

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Anonymous11:46 PM

      No, he's not. He's an old fogey like he claimed. And fogey's aren't funny. Instead, they're humorless, strait-laced, and conservative, which are how I like them. In other words, I'd make friends with those kinds of people.

      Delete
  2. I think to be a real OF you have to be grumpy. I have to look it up in the rule book, which isn't on line but at the library and proud of the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an unrepentant Old Fogey too Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Hmmm, maybe I'll dovetail on this subject rather than comment. The comment I began thinking also began growing too long for a comment. I needed some inspiration anyway.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spo,

    Maybe I'm not an Old Fogey after all. I'm not genetically grumpy. I'm a happy guy by nature. But I still don't tweet or text nor will I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:31 PM

      Well then, you're not kind of person.

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    Fogey generally means a person who is old-fashioned or ultraconservative in their viewpoint or taste. It can be used to describe someone who is particularly fussy as well.

    The word is age neutral, but is usually seen combined with old as old fogey. I have known some young fogies in my life to tell you the truth.

    It really doesn't imply someone who is grumpy, although I would guess that someone who is a fogey would very much dislike change and since change alway happens they might be grumpy a lot.

    Of course the photo you put at the top of your post certainly makes you look grumpy.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:09 PM

      You got that right. If you ask me, I embrace being a fogey.

      Delete
  7. Lar,

    Maybe I'm not an Old Fogey after all but one think I'm not is ultra-conservative. In fact I'm a bit radical ("off with their heads!")
    You're right about being age neutral. One doesn't have to be old in physical years to be an Old Fogey.

    The photo on top of my post is my Old Fogey picture. I'm a happy guy though. You know me. Happy is my default attitude.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:48 PM

      On second thought, I take back my compliment about you. Whether or not you'll old fogey, I'm pone and always will be. Besides, I like being super conservative as it's part of my nature.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:52 PM

      Oops! I mistakenly typed "one" as "pone." My apologies.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:21 PM

      I also made the mistake of typing "you're an" as "you'll." And so, I apologize.

      Delete