Sunday, October 10, 2010

Monarch Butterfies



What an absolutely gorgeous Columbus Day weekend!  We could not have ordered better weather.  The touristas knew that too because they came down in droves on Rt. 1.

This morning on the boardwalk I had plenty of company.  I prefer a less company when I take my morning walk but I'm not complaining.  The touristas are our bread and butter.  Tourism is our Number One industry and today hit the jackpot.

Pictured above are Monarch butterflies that decided to spend the night on one of my "weed" trees.

Early this evening I was mowing around the border and I noticed a huge fluttering around my head.  I looked up and about 75 Monarch butterflies were circling my head. Apparently my lawn mowing had disturbed them as they were settling in for the night.

I'm glad I saw them because I was considered cutting down this tree.  It grows wild in the untended fields of Sussex County.  I don't know the name of it.  It wasn't a tree that I planted on my border.  One might say it was an illegal immigrant.  How ironic that the Monarch butterfly should stop by and spend the night on my weed tree on the way to their final destination in Mexico.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a big nature fan.  This weed tree now has a permanent place on the Tipton-Kelly estate.

Welcome Monarchs!

2 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Is that your picture of your tree? It would have been cool to have a photo of 75 butterflies flitting about one's head.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,

    Yes, that is a picture of me in the tree with the Monarch butterflies. They're still there by the way. I thought they just stopped for an overnight stay. Apparently they're going to stay for a few days. They must like my hospitality.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete