Monday, August 02, 2010

Danny

Danny Hart's artwork rendition of me


While working Saturday night at the hotel, I got a pleasant surprise.  My cousin Danny, whom I've never met in person, paid me a visit along with his partner Justin.

Danny and Justin


Danny's mother Sandy, was my high school classmate (Downingtown High School, Class of 1959.)  Actually Sandy is my mother's first cousin.  Sandy's father Randall Hadfield was the brother of my Mother's father George L. Hadfield, Sr.  That would make Sandy my first cousin.   Danny, being Sandy's son would be my first cousin, once removed.

Sandy Hart (Danny's Mother and my classmate) and me


Danny and his partner Justin live in Virginia Beach, which is about five hours away from where I live, the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes area of southern Delaware.  I met Danny through Facebook as I have many of my other new generation cousins. I know that Danny is an artist through the work I've seen him display on Facebook.  He told me he had a picture of me that he wanted to give to me.

Danny is like me that he likes to take loads of pictures.  However, Danny is different in one respect.  He has talent.  Isn't it interesting when you spot real talent?  Over the course of my life there have been several such instances such as this when I recognize talent right off the bat.  When Danny pulled that framed picture of me out of his bag and showed it to me, I was immediately impressed.  Of course I liked it since it was a picture of myself when I was young (27) and good-looking (if one finds a tall, big nosed, gawky, kid attractive.)

Cousins Danny Hart and Ron Tipton


Danny had taken one of those old pictures I took from a photo booth back in the Sixties and reverse the display, placed some kind of oil painting veneer over it with an old newspaper and created an iconic picture of my favorite person, ME.

Ron Tipton photo booth picture 1968



Lately I've been thinking a lot about writing a book about my life.  I was encouraged by reading a self-published book by the wife of the man I had my first sexual affair.  I thought if she can write a book, hey.....I can too.  And why not?  Writing a book is just an extension of me writing this blog and keeping a personal journal (which I do.)

I've been checking into how to go about self-publishing and I have read that it is very important to have a good cover.  In fact, that may be the most expensive part of publishing a book.....getting an artist to create a unique design for the book.  I think I just found my cover.  Thank you Danny!

Oh, an interesting aside.  I was so happy with the picture that Danny had made of me that I showed it to my co-worker Dawn who was in the hotel Saturday night for turn down service.  I excitedly showed her the picture and asked her what she thought of it.  She looked at it and said "Oh, I like it."  Then as she was leaving she turned around again and said "Uh....is that you in the picture Ron?"  I said "Yes, didn't recognize me?"  A sheepish look came over her face and she said "Oh, of course."  Uh huh.  It's like Danny said when he first presented the picture to me "You haven't changed at all!"  Well......maybe I changed a little bit after 41 years.
Ron Tipton old man 2010

13 comments:

  1. Now I know how Danny fits into your life. Nice.

    What a lovely surprise and the artwork from your photo is truly a gift of love. You are blessed, my friend...shallow yes, but blessed none the less. ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne,
    The next time Danny and Justin visit we're planning on coming to your place for lunch (or dinner.) We couldn't do it this time because I had to work Saturday night. Ironically I had to work Saturday because I switched times with Monica because I had another friend (Tom J.) visit me on Wednesday. You were off so we at at the Feathered One. Tomorrow I have a luncheon date with Barbara and Friday I'm meeting Jack and Paul for lunch in Millsboro. Shallow Ron, Mr. Popularity.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judge not a book by its cover.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That boy's got talent. I love the picture and what a nice gift.
    Your Friend, m.
    p.s. I like "gawky".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron: I hate to burst the bubble, but you looked FINE in '68 (I was 13/14 and was always interested in older men)... and you look great today, stop "old manning" yourself... At 54 I have to deal with it too!

    Love ya...

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I have tried to post this comment twice...

    Michael and I are in Portsmouth, not far from VA Beach, and as you said a mere 5 hours from you and Wayne in Rehobeth Beach...

    You looked Great in '68, as I suppose I did at 13/14, but then I always liked more experienced men...

    As for you in 2010? I wake up every morning to this person looking back at me in the mirror that is totally un-me... Not to worry, you look great at 39+...

    Love ya, and let's get together sometime in Rehobeth...

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom,

    Thank you! You made me smile BTW, I always liked older men too. ;)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,

    You are so right, my cousin has talent. It's interesting how you can spot talent right away. I always wanted to be an artist but I realized early on I didn't have that inherent talent. My brother does. My talent is in other areas. ;)
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom,
    Let me know the next time you will be in the Rehoboth Beach area. We'll try to arrange to have the three of us go out to lunch. After the season is best for us (me and Wayne.) I would like to meet you. :)
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark,

    You like gawky? I'm still gawky. That never ended. Ask Wayne. :)
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom,

    Correction...that would be the FOUR of us. Of course your Michael is welcome too.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. You looked great then and you're looking great now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sam thanks! I wasn't fishing for compliments but I appreciate them. I'll have to stop complaining about getting old. It is what it is. By the way, you're not bad looking yourself. In fact, you're my type. Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete