Friday, August 27, 2010

Come Out Anderson

Anderson Cooper, CNN  News Anchor - still in the closet

Anderson Cooper is a CNN news anchor.  He is an excellent reporter.  Telegenic, knowledgeable, and not afraid to tell the truth when reporting the news.  

I first noticed Anderson Cooper during his reporting of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.  He was the first reporter who cut through the BS and told it like it was.  It was so refreshing to watch a newsman actually report the real news.  Too many of our newscasters are in bed with their "sources."  A good example of this faux "newsman" is David Gregory of MSNBC news.  This is the same "newsman" who was on the stage during the White House Correspondents Dinner doing some kind of herky jerky ("Elaine" on Seinfeld) dance with Karl "Turd Blossom" Rove.  When I saw that travesty, Gregory lost all creditability with me for that shameless suck up display.

From what I've seen of Anderson's reporting, he's not afraid to take on the powers that be.  I respect him for that.  However, there is one small problem.  I am quite sure Anderson is gay.  Every time I see him on TV my GAYDAR meter goes bonkers.  Anderson, who lives with a hunky Significant Other, has yet to come out.  In other words, Anderson is still playing it safe.  He's still in the closet.  

Hey Anderson, here's a message:  Come out, come out wherever you are.  Actually, no one will call all that much.  You coming out will have about as much effect on your viewership as Ricky Martin coming out.  Your sexual orientation is already a known fact Anderson.  Your news reporting chops are the best.  You won't lose your job.  It's safe to come out now. Witness the two example below:

Rachel Maddow - host of the "Rachel Maddow Show" on MSNBC - out and proud

Rachel, lover her or hate her (I love her by the way.)  This woman has more balls than all the Tom Cruises, John Travoltas, and Anderson Coopers of this world combined.  You go girl!

Thomas Roberts, MSNBC daytime news anchor and former CNN newsman

Thomas, who I recently discovered while watching MSNBC during the day, is a hunk and a half and an excellent newsman.  Looks, personality, knowledge and gravitas galore.  Thomas is out and unapologetic about being out.  He doesn't wear a sign around his neck saying "I'm queer, I'm here, get used to it" but he is out in a matter-of-fact way that doesn't interfere with his broadcasts.  

This is the way I've always conducted my life.  I've never been to a gay pride parade in my life.  I have been to two gay equality marches.  I went to the first one in Washington D.C. in 1979 when there was still great danger to exposing ones self as a gay man.  I remember clearly that when we started the march my heat was in my throat and my stomach was full of butterflies.  I wasn't sure that I could walk without my knees shaking, that's how scared I was of being assaulted during the march.  When I saw the march route lines with D.C. cops on motorcycles, I felt a little safer.  Not much, but a little.

My next public display was this past October when I attended the Equality March in Washington D.C. Thirty years later, our march route wasn't lined with cops on motor cycles.  The march was a joyous occasion joined by many straight family members and friends who unabashedly supported their gay brethren.  This march was matter of fact.  Gone was the fear of assault or of being outed.

Yep. That's me folks in front of the White House, beads and all.  Totally out.

A "few" friends and supporter for the Equality March in Washington, D.C. 

Me and my friend Bob (another former fellow banker) resting our tired bones at the Capitol 

So Anderson, why don't you join your fellow newsmen (and women) and come out?  In fact,, why don't you join your fellow GBLT peers and throw open that closet door you've been living in all these years?  The only think you have to gain is your freedom.  Plus, you will be setting a good example for all those other gays and lesbians who are still fearfully hiding in their closets.  The only way we are going to defeat homophobia in this country is for every gay man and woman to come out of the closet.  

It has been proven that once those who still harbor a fear of gays and lesbians do so out of ignorance and because "they don't know one personally."  Once that closet door is forever broken down, homophobia will disappear over night.  

Come out Anderson.



2 comments:

  1. If everybody knows, then he IS out. Just because he prefers not to discuss his private life with the public doesn't mean he is in the closet. Since I have no chance "getting together" with him, I don't need to know anything related to his sexuality, so why should he tell me (or anyone else)? Now if he is calling himself straight, well that would make him in the closet, but still, his right to privacy. Just my two cents - Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,

      Oppression of gays and lesbians will continue until all gays come out. It isn't a big deal these days. I do not understand why someone like Anderson Cooper still continues to live in the closet even though just about everyone knows he is gay.
      Is it lack of courage? Worried that he won't make as much money? Concerned about his creditability? I just don't get it. Back when I came out (1963) it was downright dangerous. Not only was I breaking the law by being gay, I was literally putting my life at risk. Hey, if I can come out then a big deal like Anderson can come out. If every gay man and woman came out homophobia would disappear overnight. That's when the straight public will realize that they brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter are gay and just like them not the stereotype that is painted by the media. That's my two cents.

      Delete