Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Break in the Weather

A gathering of seagulls this morning on the beach


Finally, we got a break in the all summer long oppressive heat and humidity.  It was an absolute pleasure this morning to put on my light sweat jersey and take my morning walk on the boardwalk in Rehoboth.

I could hear the roar of the waves rolling in on the beach as I parked my car at the north end of the boardwalk.  As I ascended the boardwalk I was greeted by the sight of the white crashing waves.

Feeding the seagulls 


This morning the boardwalk was almost bare.  Apparently not too many touristas like to walk a windswept boardwalk in 69 degree temperatures.  For me it was perfect.

I easily walked the mile to the south end of the boardwalk without so much as breaking a sweat.  Now that was a pleasure not to plow through the heat and humidity only to be drenched in my own sweat once I reached the end of the boardwalk.  This is the way a walk on the boardwalk is supposed to be.

Once I made my first two mile up and down on the boardwalk I took my usual bench seat near the Henlopen Hotel.  I took a couple of self portraits with my camera.  A very nice lady nearby came up to me and asked if I would like her to take a picture of me with the ocean as a background.  Would I?  Absolutely!  As anyone who knows me, I love to take pictures and have pictures taken of me.  It's not so much that I'm vain or self absorbed, but I feel a need to document my existence on this earth.  Maybe it comes from my interest in genealogy.  I would so love to have photos of my ancestors.  I have a few but not near enough.  Thus, except for their name and dates of birth and death, their existence is lost forever to history.  Such will not be the case with me.  I'm leaving a big trail.

My beach portrait with the ocean backdrop - a picture I could not take myself - this very nice lady offered to take it for me - thank you!

Some have children to leave a legacy.  Some perform great deeds.  I leave a history of genealogy records and photos.  I just hope when I'm gone there is someone who will take enough interest and preserve these memories of my little time on this earth.  If not, then I will at least enjoyed accumulating this record.

Below is my pictorial essay of my morning at Rehoboth Beach.

A sparsely populated boardwalk this morning - just he way I like it

Freshly stocked up with Sysco products and ready to feed the hungry horde of touristas


Morning trash pickup on the beach

Beach stuff for the tourists


Guard Dolphin at the bandstand

A rare sighting of a Massachusetts driver in LSD - watch out!

A "Don't Feed the Wildlife Fowl" at Lake Gerar - if you do we have a very efficient State Wildlife Control board - they will kill everyone - there were no ducks or geese this morning on Lake Gerar

Me getting my morning dose of tranquility - better than 10,000 therapists



6 comments:

  1. Looks like heaven. I can't remember what 69 degrees felt like. We're still sweltering under record heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, this weather is heaven. This I can take everyday! I hope you get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Parents are headed down there today with the younger three with them. If they can't swim in their pool, my Mom will go crazy.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    The young ones should be able to swim in the pool. The temperature isn't cold. Just not that oppressive heat and humidity that we've had all summer. Your younguns should be fine.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to live near the beach again (I grew up in Corpus Christi, Tx).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sip,

    All my life I wanted to live near the ocean. I finally got my act together and did it in 2006. I'm enjoying every day, rain or shine, clouds or sun, heat or cold.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete