Sunday, August 15, 2010

Another Day at the Beach

Me at the Dog Beach (before the Bag of Sand incident)


Mornings at the beach is my new activity.  I'm settling into a routine.

I usually get up about 5 or 5:30 am.  After breakfast of Corn Chex and strawberries, I'm in my new red Subaru Forester headed down Rt. 1 to Rehoboth Beach.  This early in the morning it's almost a straight shot because of the low traffic.

I park my car at the north end of the boardwalk mainly because I don't want to park my brand new car on Rehoboth Avenue where all the garbage trucks and Sysco trucks are collecting garbage and depositing new garbage early in the morning.  What would the restaurants do without Sysco?  Here's a suggestion: buy local.  Lots of noise early in the morning on Rehoboth Avenue.  I'm glad I'm not staying in one of those hotels.

So my routine is I park my car and hang my camera bag around my neck and step on the boardwalk for my brisk walk to the south end of the boardwalk.  I think the boardwalk is a mile long, but I'm told by my friend Bob C. that it's actually a mile round trip.  I don't know about that.  Walking from one end to the other seems like more than a half a mile.

After I arrive at the other end of the boardwalk I take a short break by walking down to the beach.  This early in the morning dogs are allowed on the beach.  I usually watch the owners with their dogs frolicking on the beach.  Sometimes if I see trash on the beach I pick it up and deposit it in a nearby trash can.

This mooring while I was watching the waves roll in and collecting some small pebbles that had washed ashore I noticed a plastic WalMart bag on the beach.  So, on my way back I pick it up and notice that it feels heavy.  I open it up and note that there is sand in the bag.  Oh, I guess some child was going to bag up some sand.  Uh huh.  So, Good Citizen that I am, I empty the bag of its "sand" and I notice that this "sand" is stinking  So here is what Ron did........he emptied a bag of dog poop on the beach.  And yes, I got part of it on my hand.

My new routine, I now take my break (and collect pebbles) at the other end  (northern) of the beach.  You know, the one where the surfers are.  Again, I am proof positive that No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.  The story of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Shit Happens!
    Pardon the French.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:20 PM

    Hello
    Wanted to leave you a quick note--saw your site mentioned on Marc's blog and popped on over. I thought I'd share that I enjoyed my quick browse through your entries--they have a very special feel to them, maybe it's the walks on the beach or the gratitude you seem to have for life. I like that you include current and old photos. My partner and i will be celebrating our 20th anniversary tomorrow and I look forward to the day when we'll be celebrating our 46th, I'm retired and walking at 6:00am! Hopefully all three of our girls will have moved out by then :-)

    Julie A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:21 PM

    Hello
    Wanted to leave you a quick note--saw your site mentioned on Marc's blog and popped on over. I thought I'd share that I enjoyed my quick browse through your entries--they have a very special feel to them, maybe it's the walks on the beach or the gratitude you seem to have for life. I like that you include current and old photos. My partner and i will be celebrating our 20th anniversary tomorrow and I look forward to the day when we'll be celebrating our 46th, I'm retired and walking at 6:00am! Hopefully all three of our girls will have moved out by then :-)

    Julie A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Julie for your generous compliments about my blog postings. I appreciate it.

    Congratulations to you and your partner on 20 years together. Isn't it wonderful to share your life with the person you love and who loves you in return? Every day I am grateful that I have that special someone to share my life with.

    ReplyDelete