Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday on the Boardwalk

Early morning beach chairs awaiting their owners



So what do you do when you feel yourself slipping into sadness?  When you know that the next step is depression.  What do you do to stop that slide?

This is what I do.  I go to the boardwalk.  Fortunately I live only six miles away from Rehoboth Beach and their new cedar boardwalk.  The new boardwalk was built this past year from stimulus funds provided buy the U.S. government.  Thank you very much taxpayers.

Normally I stay as far away as possible from the tourist crammed Rehoboth Beach boardwalk during the season.  I especially stay away from the boardwalk on weekends.  But there is a little known secret only known to most of us year round residents.

If you get up real early in the morning, clean up, have your breakfast you still have time to get to downtown Rehoboth before the parking meters kick in (at 10 am) and the Horde (i. e., summertime tourist crowds) descends on this east coast seaside resort.

I did my usual morning routine this morning then I asked Bill if he would like to go for a ride to Rehoboth. He asked me "When are you leaving?"  I told him "Right now.  I have to get some gas and then I'll drive in. I want to take a walk on the boardwalk to cheer me up and on the way back I want to stop in the Giant store to pick up some hummus for lunch."  Bill said he would go along for the ride but he wasn't going to walk on the boardwalk.  Bill likes to sit in the car and People Watch.  He's alright with that as long as I don't take too long walking on the boardwalk.

My '98 red Forester Subaru (124,000 miles) is waiting for me in the garage.  We pile in.  I make sure I have my camera because I want to take some pictures for this blog posting.

At 8 am, Route 1 is almost empty.  As a friend of mine used to say about Route 1 in the winter "In the dead of winter you could roll a bowling ball down Rt. 1 and not hit a car"  Of course that statement is no longer true because Rt. 1 is busy even in the wintertime now since southern Delaware has been discovered to be the place to retire to.  Low taxes, friendly people, wide open spaces.  Maybe most of the restaurants have a way to go before they equal the quality of Philadelphia or even Provincetown, Mass. restaurants but Lower Slower Delaware (LSD) is a nice place to spend one's retirement years.  And did I mention the abundant sun?  Yes, lots of sun and big sky.

In no time at all we arrived at the 1A turnoff from Route 1 to Rehoboth Avenue, the main drag in Rehoboth Beach.  Now we are encountering more traffic, but still nothing like what Rehoboth Avenue will look like later in the morning.  In fact, as I write this Rehoboth Avenue is probably clogged with beach visitors looking for a parking slot.

I drive all the way to the end of Rehoboth Avenue and make the turn at the bandstand.  A block up on Rehoboth Avenue I find a parking spot.  Since the meters don't become active until 10 am I have an hour and a half to walk the boardwalk.

I get my camera and leave car.  I tell Bill I'll be back before it's feed the meter time.  He says "Don't be too long.  I don't want to roast here."  


The following is a pictorial record of my walk on the boardwalk this morning:

Stimulas funds boardwalk 

An early morning jogger on the boardwalk

Boardwalk activity picks up

Beach umbrellas line up and ready for a day of sunshine

Looking for buried treasure

Boardwalk transportation

Watching the waves

I feel better now.  This is why I moved to Delaware, to be near the beach.  

Have a wonderful day.









5 comments:

  1. That looks great. Last time I was up there last fall, it appeared that they has just started on the construction. It looks a lot nicer than the one in Ocean City. How long is it? The Ocean City BW is around 2.5 miles I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGD,
    The new boardwalk is the same length as the old one, one mile from end to end. However the new boardwalk is wider and lower in relation to the sand dunes that separate it from the beach. It is made of cedar which you can easily smell the aroma as you walk it. It may be in my mind, but the new boards seem easier to walk on. All in all, stimulus funds well spent.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:25 AM

    Hi Ron,

    The Black Dog has been knocking on my door too. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. I thought maybe it's my daily boring routine. I am a creature of habit but that usually brings me comfort. I turned 61 last Tuesday but that didn't bother me. Hubby & I had a wonderful dinner at The Dunes Manor Hotel in OC then took the train the entire length of the boardwalk & back. That was very enjoyable & relaxing. I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have some health problems that can cause it but I'm not the type of person who let's that get them down. Hopefully it will pass & I have my dog to brighten my day. He does the silliest things just when I need a good laugh. Maybe you need a new doggie.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran,
    Thank you for your comment. I think we're coming from the same place. I can't quite put my finger on the source of my mild depression (I'm not catatonic thank goodness.) I think this oppressive heat and humidity have a lot to do with it. Like you, I am a creature of habit and that usually brings me comfort. Getting older really doesn't bother me either. I thought it would when I was younger but it doesn't affect me like I thought it would.
    You mentioned the Dunes Manor Hotel in OC. A few years ago during the dead of winter (March) I had dinner there with friends (they were celebrating a birthday.) It was one of the best meals I ever had since I moved to Delaware (although it was in OC.) The chef even came out and chatted with us a bit (not many in the restaurant at that time.) I hope to go back there soon in the off season.

    Your suggestion that I need a new doggie is right on the mark. I've been thinking about it for sometime now but Bill is dead set against it. It took him years to get over the loss of out last Pom. For the first time in his life he had to see a psychiatrist. He still is not completely over the loss of our pets. He said he would leave me if I got a new dog. He wouldn't of course but it would cause a lot of problems in our relationship. I don't want to cause him that stress at this time of his life. He's 81 years old and he is starting to have other problems.

    I hope things brighten up for you. Happy birthday!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete