Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Morning on the Boardwalk



This morning I made another early morning run to the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.  This is my new routine.  I like it.

I'm surprised that it took me so long to discover this asset right under my nose.

I moved to Delaware three and a half years ago.  Our home is six miles north of Rehoboth Beach.  It was about a year and a half until I visited the boardwalk and that was because my brother John from South Carolina was visiting and wanted to see the beach.

Occasionally since then I made an early morning run on Sunday.  But I didn't consider going down to the board every day because of the crowds.  Especially in the summertime, I stayed as far away as possible.

A few weeks ago I decided to visit the boardwalk for my daily walk.  Usually I take my morning walk in the development behind where we live.  Lately the flies have been very bad.  As soon as I stepped into that development the flies would land on me.  If it wasn't the flies then it was the mosquitoes.  Thus I had to look for a new venue to take my daily walk.

I tried the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach on morning.  The ride down Route 1 wasn't bad.  In fact, it was a straight shot.  Plus the parking is free until 10 am.  Since I get to Rehoboth Beach around 6 am, I didn't have a problem parking.



So I did it one morning.  Then I pushed my luck and did it a second morning.  Then a third.  It works.



I enjoy the walk plus I like to people watch.  My daily walks are a lot more interesting now.  If there is any downside it is the gas I'm using driving six miles down and six miles back.  That's a small price to pay for the enjoyment of taking my daily walk on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.  Plus, I have another opportunity to take some more interesting pictures.

This is just another reason why I love my retirement in southern Delaware.

10 comments:

  1. Nice Pics. Ah, you've discovered the beach and boards at my fave time of day - dawn!

    In my previous life I used to drive downtown from the Townhouse, and no matter the weather, I took my walk and shot some dazzling pics as well. It's especially beautiful in morning fog.

    You just may see my smiling face some morning when the weather gets a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne,

    It took me long enough but I have discovered the treasure that is the beach and boards at dawn. I love it. I will be down every morning. I thought it would be too far from where I lived but it's a straight shot down One for me. In fact, the first day I didn't have red light all the way down.

    I would rather take a walk on the boards than sit at this desk and check my e-mail in the morning.

    See you on "the boards."

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the late 70's early 80's, I would rush to the beach in the early AM to avoid the crowd and enjoy the wide open spaces. By noon I would have lunch and leave for home, happy and recharged. This post takes me back to a special time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    I'm ashamed to admit that it took me this long to discover this treasure practically on my doorstep. I thought I lived too far from the beach (six miles) but it's nothing if I leave early in the morning. It's a straight shot down Rt. 1 and easy parking. No crowds, cool morning breeze, and nice interesting people. To quote James Brown "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag."
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    Check out the last picture of me sitting on the bench. Now you know why Bill calls me "Chicken Legs."
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remind Bill that if he were there with you he could hide your legs from the camera. Your legs are fine, it could be worse, you have on a Speedo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike,

    My first smile of the day, you suggesting me in a Speedo. :)

    Actually, Bill has always liked my "chicken legs." For some reason his thinks skinny legs on a tall guy are sexy. His friend Damon also has "chicken legs."

    I'm in the process of recording all of Bill's early letter to me. He mentions in his letters looking forward to kissing my legs while I "chat on." I had forgotten. The same way I'm attracted to short, slightly built men; Bill is attracted to tall guys with blue eyes and "chicken legs."

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get yourself a bike and cycle down :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,

    There is no way I'm cycling down Rt. 1 and back. Rt. 1 is a five lane highway full of crazy out of state drivers who wouldn't hesitate to squash me if they could arrive at the beach one moment sooner. I value my life too much to put it in that kind of jeopardy.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete